Cyclical formula? (noob warning)

• Thread starter romanawgarlic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about a person's experience with a binomial probability function on their TI-84 calculator. They noticed that no matter what number they used as the starting point, they always ended up with the same four values in the same order. After trying it multiple times, they asked for an explanation or related theory. Another person suggested trying the logistic map and provided a link for more information.
romanawgarlic
Hello all! I am just a guy whos taking a basic statistics course and came across a phenomena that interested me. Probably very basic, but i can't figure it out by myself.

Was messing around on my TI-84 the other day, and ended up just pressing "solve" on a binomial probability function where the probability of the events were the answers of the previously performed function. I don't know exactly how to explain it, so i'll just write it out:

(10 nCr 1)(ans^9)((1-ans)^1)

weirdly, i kept getting numbers around the same values, so i put the equation into excell and ran it a thousand times with a random starting number (0<x<1). strangely, no matter what the first number was, the answers always tended to the same four numbers, in the same order:

0,385203336 0,048336317 0,30947461 0,110469374

What gives? Nothing about this in my textbook, and i don't know where to start searching on the internet. An explanation or link to related theory or anything that will alleviate my puzzlement would be much appreciated.

Thanks y'all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that you evaluated the function
[tex] 10 x^9(1-x) [/tex]
and kept getting the same numbers as you varied x?

Office_Shredder said:
Are you saying that you evaluated the function
[tex] 10 x^9(1-x) [/tex]
and kept getting the same numbers as you varied x?

sorry, got the equation mixed up! (feels like it shouldn't matter, but apparently it does when i plug it into excell

1. started by plugging a random number 0<x<1 into [tex] 10 x(1-x)^9 [/tex]
2. took the answer i got from that and put it through the same function [tex] 10 x(1-x)^9 [/tex]
3. took the answer from step 2 and put it through the equation again, and again, about a thousand times.

result: i ended up getting these numbers as answers time and time again in that order:
0,385203336 0,048336317 0,30947461 0,110469374

sorry about not being clear, I'm not great with mathematical terminology.

if you want to try it for yourself, you can put this in cell A3 in an excell sheet:

=RAND()

and this in cell A4

=10*POWER(A3,1)*POWER(1-A3,9)

then repeat the formula in the cell of A4 as many times as you need (about 100 times should do it)

thanks

Last edited:
With a first power instead of a ninth power, this iteration is known as the logistic map

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LogisticMap.html

It seems to have a lot of the same properties

try to graph y=f(f(f(f(x)))) with f(x) = 10 x(1-x)^9. The graph will intersect in 4 places with the graph of y = x, which are the points of the cycle you've found

Hello there! It sounds like you stumbled upon a cyclical formula, also known as a repeating pattern or cycle. These types of formulas often occur in mathematics and can be quite fascinating to explore. In your case, it seems like the binomial probability function you used has a repeating pattern with four distinct values. This could be due to the specific values you used or the structure of the function itself.

To understand this further, you may want to look into the concept of periodicity in mathematics. This refers to the repetition of values or patterns at regular intervals. It is also worth exploring the properties of binomial distributions and how they can lead to cyclical formulas.

I would recommend consulting with your statistics instructor or doing some additional research on the specific function you used to better understand the underlying principles at play here. Good luck with your studies!

What is a cyclical formula?

A cyclical formula is a mathematical equation that describes a repeating pattern or cycle. It is used to model processes that have regular, predictable patterns, such as the seasons, economic cycles, or biological rhythms.

How is a cyclical formula different from other types of formulas?

A cyclical formula differs from other formulas in that it takes into account the cyclical nature of the data being analyzed. It typically includes components for both trend and seasonality, allowing for a more accurate prediction of future values.

What are some examples of cyclical formulas?

Examples of cyclical formulas include the Holt-Winters method for forecasting time series data, the ratio-to-moving-average method for analyzing economic cycles, and the cosine function for modeling biological rhythms.

What are the limitations of using a cyclical formula?

One limitation of using a cyclical formula is that it assumes a consistent and predictable pattern in the data. If the data deviates significantly from this pattern, the formula may not provide accurate predictions. Additionally, cyclical formulas may not be appropriate for data that is highly irregular or influenced by external factors.

How can a cyclical formula be helpful in scientific research?

Cyclical formulas can be helpful in scientific research by providing a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting cyclical phenomena. They can also help identify patterns and trends in data, and inform the development of hypotheses for further research.