1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there. Hi have in cylindrical coordinates that [tex]\theta=\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex], and I must make the graph, and take it into cartesian coordinates. How should I do?

I've tried this way:

[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x=r\cos\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{3}\\y=r\sin\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{3} \\z=z\end{matrix}\Rightarrow{\begin{Bmatrix}x=\displaystyle\frac{r}{2}\\y={r\displaystyle\frac{\sqrt[ ]{3}}{2} \\z=z\end{matrix}}[/tex]

I think its a semi-plane parallel to the line: [tex]2\displaystyle\frac{y}{\sqrt[ ]{3}}-2x=0[/tex]. I thought of working geometrically with it, taking another point. Or taking three points, but I think its probably easier someway, just from the equations system. I don't know how to take x and y, to make them a function of z.

Bye there!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2
    The equation for the plane is just [tex] y = \sqrt{3}x. [/tex]
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    Thanks Raskolnikov, I didn't see it that way, [tex]y = \sqrt{3}x\forall{z}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook