1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Harmonic Oscillator Fourier Expansion

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A damped harmonic oscillator originally at rest and in its equilibrium position is subject to a periodic driving force over one period by F(t)=-[tex]\tau^2[/tex]+4t^2 for -[tex]\tau/2[/tex]<t<[tex]\tau/2[/tex] where [tex]\tau[/tex] =n[tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\omega[/tex]

a.) Obtain the Fourier expansion of the function in the integral given and show that it is F(t)=-8[tex]\pi^2[/tex]/3[tex]\omega^2[/tex]+[tex]\sum[/tex]16(-1)^n/(n[tex]\omega[/tex])^2 cos(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)

b.)Find the steady state response x[tex]_{p}[/tex](t) to this driving force when the damped harmonic oscillator satisfies the equation: mx"+bx'+kx=F(t) when m=1kg., b=20kg/s, and k=400N/m. This should be an infinite sum.

2. Relevant equations
    For a driven damped harmonic oscillator with a single diving force, F(t)=F[tex]_{0}[/tex]sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t) the steady state solution has the form:
    x[tex]_{p}[/tex](t)=(F[tex]_{0}[/tex]/m)/[tex]\sqrt{4\beta^2\omega^2}[/tex]+([tex]\omega^2_{0}[/tex]-[tex]\omega^2[/tex])^2 sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t-[tex]\delta[/tex])
    where [tex]\delta[/tex]=tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex](2[tex]\beta[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/[tex]\omega^2_{0}[/tex]-[tex]\omega^2[/tex])

Since the force is an infinite series, you should be able to write the response as an infinite series where each term would have a corresponding term to that above.

Useful Integrals:

[tex]\int[/tex]t^2sin(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)dt=-t^2 cos(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)/n[tex]\omega[/tex] +2t(sin(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)/n[tex]\omega[/tex])^2 +2cos(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)/(n[tex]\omega[/tex])^3

[tex]\int[/tex]t^2cos(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)dt=t^2sin(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)/n[tex]\omega[/tex]+2tcos(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)/(n[tex]\omega[/tex])^2-2sin(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)/(n[tex]\omega[/tex])^3

3. The attempt at a solution
    it would take way too long and too much confusing stuff to put everything ive done here, but any helpful suggestions would be welcome. i have it for the most part but keep running into small errors that are throwing me off such as a cosine term ending up a sine term and missing some terms that are associated with [tex]\tau[/tex]. part b.) is where i'm having the most trouble

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2
    just realized i made some mistakes when posting, wherever there is an omega as an exponent it should not be there! it is just multiplied through

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?