Dark Energy: Exploring Negative Pressure's Role in Universe Expansion

In summary, the article "Accelerating Expansion of the Universe" published in Scientific American discusses the leading hypothesis for the acceleration of the universe, which is the negative pressure of empty space. This negative pressure, caused by the energy of virtual particle pairs, can create repulsive gravity and drive the accelerated expansion of the universe. The original article can be found in the March 2016 issue of Scientific American on page 40.
RJ Emery
TL;DR Summary
Accelerating Expansion of the Universe
In an article published in Scientific American, authors Adam Riess and Mario Livio wrote:

Scientists have a number of hypotheses for what might be driving the acceleration of the universe. The leading candidate arises from the nature of empty space. In quantum physics a vacuum is not “nothing”—rather it is teeming with pairs of “virtual” particles and antiparticles that spontaneously appear and annihilate one another within a tiny fraction of a second. As strange as it may sound, this sea of ephemeral particle pairs carries energy, and energy, just like mass, can produce gravity. Unlike mass, however, energy can create either an attractive or a repulsive gravity, depending on whether its pressure is positive or negative. The vacuum energy in empty space, according to theory, should have a negative pressure and thus may be the source of the repulsive gravity driving the accelerated expansion of the universe. — Scientific American, March, 2016, page 40,

Why negative pressure? I would think the pressure would be positive, thus making gravity repulsive.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJ Emery said:
Why negative pressure? I would think the pressure would be positive, thus making gravity repulsive.
Gravity is positivity attractive, thus a negative would make it repulsive. Hm ... this is beginning to sound like a girl I dated in college :smile:

phinds said:
Gravity is positivity attractive, thus a negative would make it repulsive. Hm ... this is beginning to sound like a girl I dated in college :smile:
TMI... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
RJ Emery said:
Summary:: Accelerating Expansion of the Universe

In an article published in Scientific American
Please provide a link.

RJ Emery said:
I would think the pressure would be positive, thus making gravity repulsive.
Positive pressure causes attractive gravity, not repulsive gravity. Roughly speaking, if you're looking at a perfect fluid, its "gravity" is described by ##\rho + 3 p##, where ##\rho## is the energy density and ##p## is the pressure; the more positive this quantity is, the more attractive gravity is. So positive pressure adds to attractive gravity. (Dark energy has equation of state ##p = - \rho##, so ##\rho + 3 p = - 2 \rho##, which is negative since ##\rho## is positive. That's why dark energy causes "repulsive gravity".)

PeterDonis said:
Please provide a link.
A link to what? The original article online? It is behind a paywall, and unless you have a paid subscription to SA (I do) you won't be able to access it. Furthermore, I quoted the relevant paragraph. That's all there is to it. If you wish to read the full article, visit your local library.

• Sad
Likes Motore
RJ Emery said:
A link to what? The original article online?
Yes.

RJ Emery said:
It is behind a paywall, and unless you have a paid subscription to SA (I do) you won't be able to access it.
And some readers may have such a subscription. In any case, when you are asked for a reference, you need to give it. That is PF policy, which you signed up to when you became a member.

RJ Emery said:
I quoted the relevant paragraph.
Doesn't matter. We still need a link.

RJ Emery said:
If you wish to read the full article, visit your local library.
If you wish to continue posting here, please abide by the rules.

PeterDonis said:
Yes.And some readers may have such a subscription. In any case, when you are asked for a reference, you need to give it. That is PF policy, which you signed up to when you became a member.Doesn't matter. We still need a link.If you wish to continue posting here, please abide by the rules.
If you bothered to read the original post, I gave the publication, issue date, and page number. The article is not available online in the public domain. You will not be getting a link because there is no link.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
RJ Emery said:
If you bothered to read the original post, I gave the publication, issue date, and page number. The article is not available online in the public domain. You will not be getting a link because there is no link.
This is not an acceptable response. Thread closed.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy related to negative pressure?

Dark energy is believed to have negative pressure, which means it exerts a repulsive force that counteracts the attractive force of gravity. This negative pressure is thought to be the driving force behind the accelerated expansion of the universe.

3. How do scientists study dark energy?

Scientists study dark energy through a variety of methods, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the brightness of distant supernovae. These observations help to constrain the properties and behavior of dark energy.

4. What is the current understanding of dark energy?

The current understanding of dark energy is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. While it is widely accepted that dark energy exists and is responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, its exact nature and properties are still not fully understood.

5. How does dark energy impact the future of the universe?

Dark energy is believed to be the dominant force driving the expansion of the universe, and its effects will continue to increase over time. This means that the universe will continue to expand at an accelerated rate, eventually leading to the "heat death" of the universe as all matter and energy become too spread out to sustain life or any other processes.