1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dark field: Conjugate images

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    I was working on some dark field filters and I was wondering if you could substitute the black spot in the centre of a dark field filter for a completely black filter with a light passing hole in the middle. Sort of an inverted dark field filter.
    I seem to remember reading something like this involving conjugate images when I was doing fourier theory a while ago.
    Would the filters have the same effect? Or are conjugate images fourier transforms of each other?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In a darkfield imaging setup, you cannot substitute a small hole for an annulus; the annulus passes high spatial frequencies while the hole passes the DC component. Offsetting the hole to the radius of the annulus can be acceptable, however (google: synthetic aperture radar).

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    Thank you for replying, I was afraid that was the case. So on the conjugate images point, are the two filters in this case fourier transforms of each other? Why are they called conjugate images? Is the link between the two simply that they appear as inverted forms of each other or is there something deeper?

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook