1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dark Matter, calculating missing mass

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The andromeda galaxy has a velocity of 250 km/s as it rotates. The observed mass is 1 x 10^42 kg. If the galaxy is roughly a circle with a diameter of 66,00 light years how much mass is not accounted for visibly?

2. Relevant equations

Fc=mv^2/r and Fg=Gm1m2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

There was no answer, i know im supposed to calculate the the velocity and its mass, then but to get the percent of mass missing i think you divide the difference between the the calculated mass and given mass by the calculated mass or something like that. But i am still rather confused at what to do. Im not looking for someone to complete my homework, just to help me understand how to do this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Start with the part you described - calculate the mass with the formulas. It will be larger than 1042 kg, and this number is (visible mass)+(invisible mass). Can you calculate the invisible mass?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted