Dark matter, Higgs boson, gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of black matter, dark matter, and the Higgs Boson and their potential relationship to gravity. There are various theories about the existence and properties of dark matter particles, including supersymmetric models and axion particles, but the exact nature of dark matter and its interaction with the Higgs Boson is still unknown. Some theories propose that our understanding of particle physics is incomplete and there may be other particles and symmetries yet to be discovered. Other theories, such as MOND, suggest that our understanding of gravity may need to be revised in order to explain anomalous gravitational observations.
afcsimoes
How are related these 3 concepts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Black matter, you mean dark matter, right?

What are your own investigations regarding this?

You have tagged the thread "A" which means you want replies on a phd/graduate level, are you aware of that? Or do you want us to reply in a "B" i.e. more like popular science level? Let me/us know and we get back you with a reply on an approriate level.

Cheers

Last edited:
Likes afcsimoes
You mean Black Lives Matter?

No politics on this forum.

• Haha
Likes Delta2, Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:

You have tagged the thread "A" which means you want replies on a phd/graduate level, are you aware of that? Or do you want us to reply in a "B" i.e. more like popular science level? Let me/us know and we get back you with a reply on an approriate level.

Cheers
Yes. I am Portuguese where the translation of “dark matter” is sometimes not well done.
thank you by the alert

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
malawi_glenn said:

Cheers
I am a retired chemical engineer so “A” is not correct. How can I change it?

afcsimoes said:
I am a retired chemical engineer so “A” is not correct. How can I change it?
Your thread title has been fixed up and the thread prefix adjusted by the Mentors. :smile:

afcsimoes said:
How are related these 3 concepts?
How do YOU think they are related? What do you understand each of them to be?

Likes malawi_glenn
I think it is unknown how dark matter particles interact with the Higgs Boson, if their mass is due to the higgs boson or some other mechanism. Btw most of the mass of the baryonic matter is mostly due to a phenomenon named "Color Confinement" of the quantum chromodynamics and not due to the higgs boson.

Likes afcsimoes and malawi_glenn
Connection to gravity: several gravitational phemomena such as rotation speeds of galaxies, speeds of galaxies in galaxy clusters, gravitational lensing of single galaxies - are not explainable using calculations of such phenomena with Newtonian gravity and general relativity. The reason for this is either that there is more matter than what is visible (interact via electromagnetism) or that we simply do not understand gravity, or have missed something else in our calculations. Dark matter advocators means that it is more plausible that our understanding of particle physics is lacking - there are more particles and symmetries and such out there to be found.

Non-particle proposals for the anomalous gravitational observations mentioned includes MOND (modified Newtonian dynamics) in which there is also a small correction term to the gravitational force. This correction term is small for objects with low acceleration. But for objects that have high acceleration, such as stuff rotating far from the galaxy center (centripetal acceleration) this term grows rather large. Furthermore there are also people re-investigating general relativity performing new calculation on rotational curves.

As mentioned by @Delta2 it is not understood how dark matter particles attain mass, there are many models out there. Dark sectors, as was mentioned, for instance. There are also supersymmetric models where the "Neutrialino" particle can make up dark matter. Such particle would gain some of its mass from the regular Higgs-mechanism and some of its mass from the mechanism that breaks supersymmetry (since supersymmetry is not an exact symmetry of nature at low energies it has to be broken somehow). There are also models with axion particles.

• Informative
Likes ohwilleke, afcsimoes, vanhees71 and 1 other person

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up approximately 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not emit or absorb light, which is why it is invisible and difficult to detect. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s and was finally discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that massive objects cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, creating a gravitational field that pulls other objects towards it.

4. What is the relationship between dark matter and gravity?

Dark matter and gravity are closely related because dark matter is believed to be the main source of gravity in the universe. Its gravitational pull is what holds galaxies together and allows them to rotate at high speeds without flying apart.

5. Why is the study of dark matter, Higgs boson, and gravity important?

Studying dark matter, Higgs boson, and gravity is important because it helps us understand the fundamental workings of the universe. These concepts play a crucial role in our understanding of the formation and evolution of galaxies, the structure of the universe, and the origin of mass. Additionally, further research in these areas could potentially lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in technology.