Dark matter interacts with visible matter via gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses dark matter and its interaction with visible matter via gravity. The question is raised whether dark matter would be concentrated along the spiral arms of galaxies if density waves are a feature of gravitational force. However, it is explained that dark matter does not interact with the EM force and therefore does not form into a disk shape like visible matter does. Instead, it forms an amorphous blob surrounding galaxies and the galaxies themselves move within it. This is due to the fact that there is more dark matter than visible matter.
Sanborn Chase
Gold Member
Thanks to all of you for your kind attention to my questions. May I ask another?
If what we're calling dark matter interacts with visible matter via gravity, wouldn't it be concentrated along these arms if density waves are a feature of gravitational force?

Likes davenn
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sanborn Chase said:
If what we're calling dark matter interacts with visible matter via gravity, wouldn't it be concentrated along these arms if density waves are a feature of gravitational force?

Hi there

Dark matter/energy and it's interactions are outside my field
I will let others see if they can answer that for your :smile:

davenn said:
ohh yeah ?
I would like to see some valid citations for your comment !

there is NO "appearance" they are really there you can see them go supernova, you can do spectroscopic work on those stars

Their location IS physical

Dave

I don't think rex is saying the stars or the arms don't exist. Just that they are formed from density waves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_wave_theory

Sanborn Chase said:
Thanks to all of you for your kind attention to my questions. May I ask another?

No, because instead of staying in the spiral arms, it will pass right through them and continue on unimpeded until gravity slows it down and stops it in the dark matter "halo" that surrounds the galaxy. It will then fall back through the galaxy in another pass. This is because most dark matter is falling into the galaxy from this halo, whereas most of the normal matter is rotating in a disk shape (the latter is due to normal matter also interacting via the EM force).

Since dark matter does not [or, at best, very feebly] interact via the EM force, its distribution is unaffected by friction and collisions with other things that causes ordinary matter to organize itself in the taxonomy of galaxies. DM appears content to coexist as an amorphous blog surrounding most galaxies.

Put differently, since dark matter does not contract into a disk in the first place, there's no density enhancement there to make spiral density waves in.

I think you are thinking about galaxies and dark matter backwards. Common mistake, I used to too. You envision dark matter being attracted to the galaxies and clumping there right? Wrong. Because there is so much more dark matter than ordinary matter, it's the dark matter that formed clumps and the galaxies bob around inside of them.

This is something bobbing around in water on the international space station. This analogy helps visualize scale, the galaxies are the small bubbles and the dark matter is the dominate blob.
iss-dye-blob.png

Likes Sanborn Chase

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not emit or absorb any electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to our current technology. Its existence is inferred by its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How does dark matter interact with visible matter?

Dark matter interacts with visible matter only through gravity. This means that it exerts a gravitational force on visible matter, but it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

3. Why is it important for dark matter to interact with visible matter via gravity?

Understanding how dark matter interacts with visible matter via gravity is crucial for understanding the overall structure and evolution of the universe. It helps us to explain the formation and movement of galaxies, as well as the distribution of matter in the universe.

4. How do scientists study the interaction between dark matter and visible matter?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the interaction between dark matter and visible matter. These include observations of the rotation of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and simulations using computer models.

5. Are there any other potential ways in which dark matter may interact with visible matter?

While gravity is currently the only known way in which dark matter interacts with visible matter, there are ongoing efforts to search for other possible interactions. Some theories suggest that dark matter may interact through weak nuclear force or through a new, undiscovered force, but these interactions have not yet been confirmed by scientific evidence.