Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dating after college - tough?

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    I graduated college and am looking at moving to a new place. I would like to hear some stories and experiences of people who were single after college, and how difficult/easy the dating game was in "the grown up world".

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

It depends how extrovert you are. Are you afraid to talk to strangers? Do you find yourself chatting with women in supermarkets? parks? your building? or any other place?

Do you mind taking up other activities such as dancing? or gym? or other where you might meet new friends.

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

okcupid.com

teehee.

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4
    Yes, but this limits you to mostly single mom's and nutcases.

It can be difficult depending on the area you live in and type of person you are looking to date. I prefer the smart and well educated type which was pretty much non-existent where I lived and work right after I graduated. Although my love life hasn't really changed much now that I'm back in school, if I actually had time to date I imagine it would be much easier going in school and living in a college town full of people my age.

6. Jul 10, 2011 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Nonsense.

Or well, maybe.

A few of us have gone onto OKC to laugh at peoples profiles (actually it turns out only people in Belgium have profiles that are hilarious) and it's really not that bad. The internet dating scene really seems to be maturing. I have yet to be swindled out of $10,000 for a nigerian princess.

7. Jul 10, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

When you're on OKC, you might get messages from people who want to make "movies" in their basement. But aside from that, it's a pretty cool site :biggrin:

8. Jul 10, 2011 #7
    I'm not extroverted at all. I tend not to talk to people.

9. Jul 10, 2011 #8
    Then yes, dating will be tough...

10. Jul 10, 2011 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

Ok, so write to them!
    I mean online dating could be useful for people like you...

11. Jul 10, 2011 #10
    Heh, well, I'm not a total outcast, I'm just not the type to strike up random conversations.

12. Jul 10, 2011 #11
    The best thing I ever did was join a soccer league. I've dated maybe 5-6 great girls from my soccer teams over the past few years. Volleyball or Kickball leagues would be good too!

13. Jul 13, 2011 #12
    Do you like gladiator movies?

14. Jul 13, 2011 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

15. Jul 13, 2011 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Do you like to see grown men naked?

(too far?)

16. Jul 13, 2011 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

All seriousness aside. What are your hobbies?

I mean social hobbies.

Do them.

17. Jul 13, 2011 #16
    I've always been a fan of yelling honest compliments out the car window to people I don't know. I don't think that counts.

Biking, hiking, climbing, disc golfing...these are social but I would need to know some people just to start.

18. Jul 13, 2011 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look for http://www.meetup.com/" [Broken] in your area. I joined a hiking group recently. I was a bit worried showing up as an unaccompanied female but it was really great, not awkward at all. I met some fun people, too!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  19. Jul 14, 2011 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oooh, tonight there is a local witches' coven meeting, but only members of the coven are allowed. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  20. Jul 14, 2011 #19
    http://witches.meetup.com/
    :bugeye::rofl:

21. Jul 14, 2011 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps I could meet a druid or a warlock. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook