DC motors combined to increase volts?

In summary: Normally when you have two or more generators in series, you run the risk of creating a voltage spike and damaging the equipment. Also, when you have two or more generators in series, the batteries will only be able to supply a certain amount of power before they start to wear down.
dvn
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is possible to increase voltage if you combine 2 DC motors together?

I know that it is NOT possible to increase the voltage if you put it into a series circuit since it won't work. As for the batteries you can increase the volts if you put them into the series circuit and can increase the batteries amp if you put them into parellel circuits.

I was wondering if there are any ways to get the volts increase using 2 dc motors? Like I have 2 x 12V dc motors and I would like to try to get it 24v (please disregard the fiction transfer losses etc).

The other question I have is...
If the dc motors can't increase the motors combined but it can increase the amps when you put them into the parallel circuit and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer the amps into voltage?

Thanks David

Physics news on Phys.org
dvn said:
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is possible to increase voltage if you combine 2 DC motors together?

I know that it is NOT possible to increase the voltage if you put it into a series circuit since it won't work. As for the batteries you can increase the volts if you put them into the series circuit and can increase the batteries amp if you put them into parellel circuits.

I was wondering if there are any ways to get the volts increase using 2 dc motors? Like I have 2 x 12V dc motors and I would like to try to get it 24v (please disregard the fiction transfer losses etc).

The other question I have is...
If the dc motors can't increase the motors combined but it can increase the amps when you put them into the parallel circuit and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer the amps into voltage?

Thanks David

I don't understand what you are asking...perhaps you could re-phrase it. DC motors consume power not generate it.

CS

You can hook up 2 or more dc motors in series, but usually their outputs are combined via some type of gearing, and typically one motor will carry a bit more load than the others due to imbalance between the motors. Perhaps as temperature increases in the higher load motor, so does the resistance of the windings in the higher load motor, so the loads somewhat balance out, although the temperatures don't.

Sorry, I should've said that the 2 dc motors combined are driven by mechanical torque and doesn't receive any power but to create power. I wanted to know if there are any ways to get 24v using 2 dc motors or not?

Then you are talking about a pair of dc generators...yes, in general putting them in series will of course boost output voltage...I'm unsure how practical that would be.

1. What is the purpose of combining DC motors to increase volts?

The purpose of combining DC motors is to increase the overall voltage output. This can be useful in applications where a higher voltage is required to power a specific device or equipment.

2. How does combining DC motors increase volts?

When DC motors are combined in parallel, the voltage output of each motor is added together, resulting in an overall increase in voltage. For example, if two 12V DC motors are combined, the output voltage will be 24V.

3. What are the benefits of combining DC motors to increase volts?

Combining DC motors to increase volts can be more cost-effective than purchasing a single, high-voltage motor. It also allows for more flexibility in voltage output and can be useful in applications where a specific voltage is required.

4. Are there any limitations when combining DC motors to increase volts?

Yes, there are limitations to consider when combining DC motors. The motors must have the same voltage and current ratings in order to be combined effectively. In addition, the overall power output cannot exceed the capabilities of the power source.

5. What are some common applications of combined DC motors to increase volts?

Combined DC motors are commonly used in industrial machinery, robotics, and electric vehicles. They can also be used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines, to increase the voltage output from the generator.