1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DE Derivative Using Euler's Method

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity v of a skydiver is well modeled by a differential equation:

m*dv/dt = mg - k*v^2

Where m is the mass of the skydiver, g = 9.8 m/s^2 is the gravitational constant, a k is the drag coefficent determined by the position of the diver during the dive. Consider a diver of mass m = 54 kg with a drag coefficient of 0.18 kg/m. Use Euler's method to determine how long it will take the diver to reach 95% of her terminal velocity after she jumps from the plane.

2. Relevant equations

Euler's method:
    y[k+1] = y[k] + f(t[k],y[k])*DeltaT

3. The attempt at a solution

I placed the constants into the equation to get:
    dv/dt = (529.2 - 0.18*v^2) / 54

Then, using Euler's method with a very small delta T, I find terminal velocity to be 54.2218. This would mean that the diver reaches 95% of terminal velocity at approximately 51.5107.

1) Is this the correct way of approaching the problem? Is my terminal velocity correct?
    2) From here I suppose I would just find the point where y[n] = 51.5107?

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, terminal velocity is where dv/dt=0. You don't even need the numerical solution to find the terminal velocity. So that part looks ok, and yes, find where y[n] = 51.51.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook