DE Derivative Using Euler's Method

In summary, we have used Euler's method to solve for the velocity of a skydiver, given the mass, gravity, and drag coefficient. We found the terminal velocity to be approximately 54.2218 m/s and determined that the diver reaches 95% of this velocity at approximately 51.5107 seconds.
MechE2015

Homework Statement

The velocity v of a skydiver is well modeled by a differential equation:

m*dv/dt = mg - k*v^2

Where m is the mass of the skydiver, g = 9.8 m/s^2 is the gravitational constant, a k is the drag coefficent determined by the position of the diver during the dive. Consider a diver of mass m = 54 kg with a drag coefficient of 0.18 kg/m. Use Euler's method to determine how long it will take the diver to reach 95% of her terminal velocity after she jumps from the plane.

Homework Equations

Euler's method:
y[k+1] = y[k] + f(t[k],y[k])*DeltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

I placed the constants into the equation to get:
dv/dt = (529.2 - 0.18*v^2) / 54

Then, using Euler's method with a very small delta T, I find terminal velocity to be 54.2218. This would mean that the diver reaches 95% of terminal velocity at approximately 51.5107.

1) Is this the correct way of approaching the problem? Is my terminal velocity correct?
2) From here I suppose I would just find the point where y[n] = 51.5107?

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
MechE2015 said:

Homework Statement

The velocity v of a skydiver is well modeled by a differential equation:

m*dv/dt = mg - k*v^2

Where m is the mass of the skydiver, g = 9.8 m/s^2 is the gravitational constant, a k is the drag coefficent determined by the position of the diver during the dive. Consider a diver of mass m = 54 kg with a drag coefficient of 0.18 kg/m. Use Euler's method to determine how long it will take the diver to reach 95% of her terminal velocity after she jumps from the plane.

Homework Equations

Euler's method:
y[k+1] = y[k] + f(t[k],y[k])*DeltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

I placed the constants into the equation to get:
dv/dt = (529.2 - 0.18*v^2) / 54

Then, using Euler's method with a very small delta T, I find terminal velocity to be 54.2218. This would mean that the diver reaches 95% of terminal velocity at approximately 51.5107.

1) Is this the correct way of approaching the problem? Is my terminal velocity correct?
2) From here I suppose I would just find the point where y[n] = 51.5107?

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Sure, terminal velocity is where dv/dt=0. You don't even need the numerical solution to find the terminal velocity. So that part looks ok, and yes, find where y[n] = 51.51.

Last edited:

1. What is Euler's method and how is it used to find derivatives?

Euler's method is a numerical method used to approximate the value of a derivative at a particular point on a curve. It involves using the slope of a tangent line at a given point to approximate the value of the derivative. This is done by taking small steps along the curve and calculating the slope of the tangent line at each step, which gives an approximation of the derivative at that point.

2. What is the formula for Euler's method?

The formula for Euler's method is: yn+1 = yn + hf(xn, yn), where yn+1 is the next value of the dependent variable, yn is the current value of the dependent variable, h is the step size, and f(xn, yn) is the derivative function evaluated at the current point (xn, yn).

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Euler's method?

One advantage of using Euler's method is that it is a relatively simple and easy to understand method for approximating derivatives. Additionally, it can be used for a wide range of functions and is computationally efficient. However, it is not always accurate and can give a significant error if the step size is too large. It also cannot accurately approximate derivatives for functions with complex behavior.

4. Can Euler's method be used for higher-order derivatives?

Yes, Euler's method can be used to approximate higher-order derivatives by using multiple steps and calculating the slope at each step. However, the accuracy decreases as the order of the derivative increases and it is not recommended for complex functions with higher-order derivatives.

5. How can Euler's method be improved for better accuracy?

Euler's method can be improved for better accuracy by using a smaller step size and increasing the number of steps. Additionally, a more advanced method such as the Runge-Kutta method can be used, which involves using multiple slopes at different points to approximate the derivative. It is also important to consider the behavior of the function and choose a suitable method for approximating the derivative.