Determining X Value with De Morgan's Laws - Need Help

• Thread starter omni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the conversation discusses using De Morgan's laws to determine which option can have the value of X with given events A and B. However, the correct approach is to eliminate the three impossible answers and the correct answer is .4. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
omni
is known that A and B are events.
now i asked to decide form the options A-D which one can have the X value.

so i tried to use the De Morgan's laws but i am not sure if this is the correct way.
so i need help here.

thanks.

Attachments

• 1212.JPG
    1212.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
omni said:
is known that A and B are events.
now i asked to decide form the options A-D which one can have the X value.

so i tried to use the De Morgan's laws but i am not sure if this is the correct way.
so i need help here.
No, it's not. What you need to do is to eliminate that three answers that aren't possible.

You're given P(A) = .5 and P(B) = .8. The four answers are A) 0, B) .4, C) .8, and D) 1.

ok i got the answer B=0.4

do i correct?

thank you very much for helping.

1. What are De Morgan's Laws?

De Morgan's Laws are two logical equivalences that relate to the negation of logical statements. The first law states that the negation of a conjunction (and) is equivalent to the disjunction (or) of the negations of the individual statements. The second law states that the negation of a disjunction (or) is equivalent to the conjunction (and) of the negations of the individual statements.

2. How do De Morgan's Laws apply to determining X value?

De Morgan's Laws can be used to simplify logical statements and make it easier to determine the value of X. By applying the laws, the negations of the individual statements can be rewritten as conjunctions or disjunctions, making it easier to see the relationship between the statements and the value of X.

3. Can De Morgan's Laws be used in any type of logical statement?

Yes, De Morgan's Laws can be applied to any logical statement as long as it contains conjunctions (and) or disjunctions (or) and negations.

4. Are there any limitations to using De Morgan's Laws?

De Morgan's Laws can only be applied to logical statements that contain conjunctions (and) or disjunctions (or) and negations. They cannot be applied to statements that contain other logical operators such as conditionals or biconditionals.

5. How can I use De Morgan's Laws to solve for X in a logical statement?

To use De Morgan's Laws to solve for X, you can rewrite the statement using the laws and then plug in the given values for the other variables. From there, you can solve for X by simplifying the statement and applying any necessary algebraic manipulations.