De Sitter universe, is it compatible with darkenergy?

• Thread starter hurk4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: Could or did De Sitter foresee in his time that his model was compatible with the acceleration? Can we see from his model how this acceleration works out, e.g. linear or exponential or? kind regardsHurk4I'm not sure what you're asking.
hurk4
Maybe obvious, but I will ask it here.
Is a "De Sitter Universe (as a model) compatible with dark energy, and if so, is it then also compatible with constant-dark-energy-density?

kind regards
Hurk4

Space news on Phys.org
hurk4 said:
Maybe obvious, but I will ask it here.
Is a "De Sitter Universe (as a model) compatible with dark energy, and if so, is it then also compatible with constant-dark-energy-density?

kind regards
Hurk4

As I understand it, a De Sitter Universe is what you get when the universe is dominated by dark energy, with a constant energy density.

Cheers -- sylas

sylas said:
As I understand it, a De Sitter Universe is what you get when the universe is dominated by dark energy, with a constant energy density.

Cheers -- sylas

Dear Sylas.

As a (math. model):
1) also when this domination is exact 100% ?
2) is it static?
3) is its space-time restricted?

regards
hurk4

hurk4 said:
Dear Sylas.

As a (math. model):
1) also when this domination is exact 100% ?
2) is it static?
3) is its space-time restricted?

regards
hurk4

I am not sure what you mean. I'm a novice in cosmology, so I'm not good with terminology, sorry. The simplest case, which is what de Sitter worked out, I believe, is 100% dark energy. In this case, the universe is static in an interesting kind of way. It is always expanding, but the Hubble constant is fixed for all time. There's also no singularity in the past, it simply remains at 100% dark energy forever. This is also a flat universe, and so (ignoring topological oddities) it would be infinite. Infinite in space, in time to the future, and in time to the past.

The scale factor is
[tex]a = e^{Ht}[/tex]​
t is time, and H is the Hubble constant. The Hubble constant at a point in time is defined to be
[tex]\frac{\dot{a}}{a} = \frac{He^{Ht}}{e^{Ht}} = H[/tex]​

The differential equation for scale factor in the simple FRW models is
[tex]\dot{a} = a H_0 \sqrt{\Omega_r a^{-4} + \Omega_m a^{-3} + \Omega_k a^{-2} + \Omega_\Lambda}[/tex]​

100% dark energy means ΩΛ is 1 and the other densities are zero, so it becomes the very simple equation
[tex]\dot{a} = a H_0[/tex]​
from which we get the exponential function for the scale factor.

Cheers -- sylas

sylas said:
The simplest case, which is what de Sitter worked out, I believe, is 100% dark energy. In this case, the universe is static in an interesting kind of way. It is always expanding, but the Hubble constant is fixed for all time. There's also no singularity in the past, it simply remains at 100% dark energy forever. This is also a flat universe, and so (ignoring topological oddities) it would be infinite. Infinite in space, in time to the future, and in time to the past.

The scale factor is
[tex]a = e^{Ht}[/tex]​
t is time, and H is the Hubble constant. The Hubble constant at a point in time is defined to be
[tex]\frac{\dot{a}}{a} = \frac{He^{Ht}}{e^{Ht}} = H[/tex]​

Cheers -- sylas

Static?, (in an interesting kind of way)
Why then t dependent?

Regards
hurk4

Why then t dependent?
It isn't, if you switch to static coordinates. It's all explained in the Wikipedia article.

Ich said:
It isn't, if you switch to static coordinates. It's all explained in the Wikipedia article.

Ok, thank you.

regards hurk4

sylas said:

Cheers -- sylas

Could or did De Sitter foresee in his time that his model was compatible with the acceleration? Can we see from his model how this acceleration works out, e.g. linear or exponential or?

kind regards
hurk4

1. What is a De Sitter universe?

A De Sitter universe is a model of the universe proposed by Willem de Sitter in 1917. It is a cosmological solution to Einstein's field equations in which the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate and is filled with a constant energy density known as the cosmological constant.

2. How is a De Sitter universe different from other cosmological models?

Unlike other cosmological models, a De Sitter universe does not have matter or radiation, and is instead dominated by a cosmological constant. This leads to a universe that expands at an accelerating rate, in contrast to the decelerating expansion seen in other models.

3. Is a De Sitter universe compatible with dark energy?

Yes, a De Sitter universe is compatible with dark energy. In fact, the cosmological constant that dominates a De Sitter universe is often interpreted as a form of dark energy. This is because the cosmological constant has a negative pressure that drives the accelerated expansion of the universe.

4. How does dark energy affect the expansion of a De Sitter universe?

Dark energy is the dominant force driving the accelerated expansion of a De Sitter universe. Without dark energy, the universe would not be expanding at an accelerating rate and would instead follow a decelerating expansion. This is why a De Sitter universe is often used to model the effects of dark energy on the universe.

5. Are there any observations that support the existence of a De Sitter universe?

Yes, there are several observations that support the existence of a De Sitter universe. The most significant evidence comes from observations of distant supernovae, which show that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This is consistent with the predictions of a De Sitter universe dominated by a cosmological constant.