Dealing with factorials: Generalization

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary, the possible itineraries are reduced to 120 if the first and last day are spent in Yellowknife instead of having a variable destination.
ms. confused
The second part of this problem is giving me a hard time. I hope someone can help me with it:

An airline pilot reported her itinerary for 7 days. She spent 1 day in Winnipeg, 1 day in Regina, 2 days in Edmonton, and 3 days in Yellowknife.

a) how many different itineraries are possible?

Using generalization I got 420 (that being the answer for this part) so I'm OK with that but...

b) what difference would it make if the first day and the last day had been spent in Yellowknife?

What do I do? :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
By fixing two of the days in Yellowknife, the problem reduces to:

An airline pilot reported her itinerary for 5 days. She spent 1 day in Winnipeg, 1 day in Regina, 2 days in Edmonton, and 1 day in Yellowknife.

For part b), the difference would be that the first and last day would be fixed in Yellowknife, leaving only 5 days to be spent in the other cities. Therefore, the number of possible itineraries would be 5! (5 factorial) which is equal to 120. So the total number of possible itineraries if the first and last day were spent in Yellowknife would be 120.

To generalize this, if there are n days in the itinerary and x days are spent in one city, then the number of possible itineraries would be (n-x)! as the remaining days can be arranged in any order.

In this case, n=7 and x=2, so the number of possible itineraries would be (7-2)! = 5! = 120.

Hope this helps!

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical operation denoted by an exclamation mark (!). It is used to calculate the product of a whole number and all the whole numbers below it. For example, 5! (read as "five factorial") is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How is factorial used in generalizations?

Factorials are often used in generalizations to represent the number of different combinations or arrangements of items. For example, if there are n items and we want to know how many ways we can arrange them, we would use n! as the generalization formula.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways to calculate the number of arrangements of items, but they differ in whether the order of the items matters. In permutations, the order matters, while in combinations, the order does not matter. This results in different formulas, with permutations using n! and combinations using n! / (r! x (n-r)!), where r is the number of items chosen from n total items.

4. Can factorials be used for non-integer values?

No, factorials can only be calculated for positive integers. It does not make sense to calculate the factorial of a non-integer value, as it represents the number of ways to arrange a whole number of items.

5. How can factorials be applied in real-life situations?

Factorials can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the number of ways to arrange a deck of cards, the number of possible combinations in a lock, or the number of ways to arrange a group of people in a line. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in an experiment or event.