Debugging Weird Mathematica Behavior

In summary, the notebook attached has a problem with Mathematica not behaving consistently when running a calculation for the first time. When the problem occurs, it is often due to the use of a subscript in the term H3. There is no easy way to work around this problem, but if you change the subscript to a symbol, the program usually runs without any problems. Additionally, sometimes the program runs without any problems even after changing nothing. However, if the problem does occur, it can usually be resolved by consulting a guide on the use of Mathematica.
natski
Hi all,

I have attached a notebook which I am doing a calculation in. For some reason, Mathematica is acting inconsistently. When I run the calculation for the first time, it usually doesn't work. By that I mean I get the output that you can see in the notebook attached.

You can that the problem is coming from the subscript 3 in the term H3. I can't understand why it doesn't just read the value of H3 I input early on!?

I could just ditch the subscript but I really don't want to because I want to eventually change the subscript 3 for a general integer i and rerun the program for many different i values.

I should also add that sometimes the program runs with no problems despite having changed nothing. Once it runs once OK, then everytime thereafter is OK.

Please can someone explain what on Earth is going on!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Um sorry but I solved this problem!

Avoid the use of subscripts, unless you know how to unprotect the head subscript and change it to type symbol.

Thanks for the tip. As a further question, I am trying to use a Goto loop and finding a slight difficulty.

I put a label at the beginning of my notebook and then the Goto at the end and it doesn't work because Goto can't find the Label. Even for simple expressions this happens unless all the equations are on the same line. Is there not a way to use Goto and Label when there are many, many (and so a single line calculation is inconvenient) expressions inbetween them?

Thanks

No there is no way to make Goto do what you want.

But if you want to Goto a cell, then it is probably because that cell contains a subprocedure. So why not rename the subprocedure, evaluate the cell which defines it, and replace the Goto with function calls?

In the 1970s it was decided that the use of Goto should be deprecated in all languages, because it leads to poorly readable code. Imagine looking all over the place for someone elses Goto Label. Mathematica compromises by allowing the Goto, but restricting it to be local in the sense you describe.

Hmmm I don't really understand what you mean, the terms cell, subprocedure and function calls are not really clear to me. Can you please show me an example?

You said that, when working, all your Goto code was on the same line. The imprortant thing is that all your code was in the same active active cell. See the example.

I tried to guess what issues were having, but if you want to talk specifics you should show me your code.

Attachments

• Example.nb
    5.1 KB · Views: 335

1. Why is my code not producing the expected result in Mathematica?

There could be several reasons for this, such as incorrect syntax, using the wrong functions, or logical errors in your code. It is important to double-check your code and make sure it is written correctly. If the issue persists, try simplifying your code or seeking help from online forums or Mathematica support.

2. How do I find and fix errors in my Mathematica code?

One way to find errors in your code is to use the Trace and TracePrint functions, which allow you to see the step-by-step evaluation of your code. You can also use the Check function to catch and handle errors in your code. To fix errors, carefully review the output of these functions and make necessary corrections to your code.

3. My code was working before, but now it's not. What could have caused this?

This could be due to changes in your Mathematica environment, such as updates or changes in system settings. It could also be caused by changes in your code, such as modifications or deletions. It is important to keep track of any changes that may have been made and try to identify the cause of the issue.

4. How can I prevent strange behaviors in Mathematica?

To avoid unexpected behaviors, it is important to follow good coding practices and carefully review your code before executing it. It is also helpful to use built-in functions and avoid using complex or convoluted code. Additionally, regularly updating your Mathematica software can help prevent any potential bugs or issues.

5. I have tried everything and still can't figure out the issue. What should I do?

If you have exhausted all options and are still unable to resolve the issue, it may be helpful to seek assistance from online communities or Mathematica support. You can also try breaking down your code into smaller parts and testing each part separately to pinpoint where the issue may be occurring.