Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay tree of bottom quark

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am studying the soft neutrino spectrum from WIMP annihilation in Earth through the b-bbar channel as a part of my research. Can some one please tell me what is the decay tree for the b-bbar from neutralino WIMP or just the decay tree of the b quark.

This seems like a simple information but I am unable to find it anywhere on Google or the Particle data group particle listing.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The b-bbar decay information is at the pdg site at this page. Go to the bottom. The b-bbar meson is called the upsilon:
    http://pdg.lbl.gov/2012/tables/contents_tables_mesons.html

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks a bunch.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If your WIMPs annihilate and produce b-bbar-pairs, I would expect that those are unbound. It would be highly unlikely that the released energy just corresponds to some bound state (unless there is a physical reason I missed). So you probably want to look at hadronization and decay of B mesons (mainly B+ and B0 and their antiparticles). The LHCb experiment at the LHC at CERN is specialized to study those. Have a look at their work :).

There is no single decay, but some quite frequent decays, and some of them are easy to detect with particle detectors. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook