Solving for Acceleration and Speed of a Rocket in Motion | Kinematics Problem

• Thread starter Slacker142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rocket experiencing constant acceleration for 16 seconds and then stopping. The distance from the ground at 20 seconds is known and the acceleration during the 16 seconds needs to be found. The conversation also touches on using equations to solve the problem and the individual eventually figures it out on their own.
Slacker142
So this problem is giving me some issues, my algebra may be rusty so it has me stumped.

A Rocket experiences constant acceleration upward for 16s and then stops accelerating. It continues upward and at time 20s the distance from the ground is 5100 meters. Find the acceleration experienced during the 16s. What is the rockets speed as it passes a cloud at 5100m.

The best I could do was get the equation 5100-x = .5a*162

Where a is the acceleration during the 16s and 5100-x is equal to the distance traveled during that time.

all this coming from the basic equation Sf=S0+V0t+.5at2

This leads me to think i should use a system of equations to solve it but I am really stumped as how to begin

Any suggestions would be helpful, I'd really like to solve it on my own though so no solutions please

Physics news on Phys.org
Time 20 second is from the beginning or after 16 seconds?

rl.bhat said:
Time 20 second is from the beginning or after 16 seconds?

from the beginning so 4 seconds after the rocket stops

Nevermind, figured it out

If x is the distance traveled in 4 seconds, then
x = vf*4 - 0.5*g*16...(1)
vf = vi + 16*a...(2) Here vi = 0.
So x = 64*a - 8*g...(3)
You have already written
5100 - x = 0.5*a*16^2...(4)
Substitute the value of x and solve for a.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the description and analysis of the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects.

2. What makes kinematics deceptively simple?

Kinematics may seem simple because it only involves the basic concepts of position, velocity, and acceleration. However, it can become complex when dealing with more than one moving object or when considering the effects of external forces.

3. What are the applications of kinematics?

Kinematics is used in various fields such as engineering, robotics, astronomy, and biomechanics. It is also essential in understanding the motion of objects in everyday life, from sports to transportation.

4. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

The main difference between kinematics and dynamics is that kinematics only focuses on the motion of objects, while dynamics also considers the forces that cause the motion. In other words, kinematics is the "what" of motion, while dynamics is the "why" of motion.

5. What are the three equations of kinematics?

The three equations of kinematics are:
1. Equation of motion: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.
2. Displacement equation: s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.
3. Final velocity squared equation: v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the displacement.