Can Our Company Take On This Challenging Project?

• Thread starter ElectroPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary, a proposed project involving a major design change and unfamiliar programming language was deemed too difficult by a programmer, team leader, project manager, and 1st level manager. However, the senior level manager and CEO were confident in the company's abilities to successfully complete the project, citing previous experience and in-house training. The CEO ultimately convinced the client that the company was the best fit for the project.
ElectroPhysics
About a month ago, a friend of mine send me an email. I think u will find it interesting. Here is it...

Information Passing​
Programmer to Team Leader:

"We can't do this proposed project. **CANNOT**. It will involve a major design change and no one in our team knows the design of this legacy system. And above that, nobody in our company knows the language in which this application has been written. So even if somebody wants to work on it, they can't. If you ask my personal opinion, the company should never take these type of projects."

Team Leader to Project Manager:

"This project will involve a design change. Currently, we don't have any staff with experience in this type of work. Also, the language is unfamiliar to us, so we will have to arrange for some training if we take this project. In my personal opinion, we are not ready to take on a project of this nature."

Project Manager to 1st Level Manager:

"This project involves a design change in the system and we don't have much experience in that area. Also, not many people in our company are appropriately trained for it. In my personal opinion, we might be able to do the project but we would need more time than usual to complete it."

1st Level Manager to Senior Level Manager:

"This project involves design re-engineering. We have some people who have worked in this area and others who know the implementation language. So they can train other people. In my personal opinion we should take this project, but with caution."

Senior Level Manager to CEO:

"This project will demonstrate to the industry our capabilities in remodeling the design of a complete legacy system. We have all the necessary skills and people to execute this project successfully. Some people have already given in-house training in this area to other staff members. In my personal opinion, we should not let this project slip by us under any circumstances."

CEO to Client:

"This is the type of project in which our company specializes. We have executed many projects of the same nature for many large clients. Trust me when I say that we are the most competent firm in the industry for doing this kind of work. It is my personal opinion that we can execute this project successfully and well within the given time frame."

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the laugh. :biggrin: *forwards*

Based on the information provided, it seems that the project in question is complex and challenging due to the major design change and unfamiliar language. However, the company has the potential to take on this project with proper training and utilizing the skills of team members who have experience in similar areas. It is important for the company to carefully consider the risks and potential challenges before committing to the project, but ultimately, the decision should be based on the company's capabilities and expertise in this area.

What is decision making?

Decision making is the process of selecting a course of action among multiple alternatives. It involves evaluating information, weighing potential outcomes, and choosing the best option.

Why is decision making important?

Effective decision making is crucial in both personal and professional contexts. It allows individuals and organizations to achieve their goals, solve problems, and adapt to changing circumstances.

What are the steps involved in decision making?

The steps of decision making typically include identifying the problem, gathering information, evaluating alternatives, making a choice, and implementing and evaluating the decision.

What factors can influence decision making?

There are many factors that can impact decision making, including personal biases, emotions, past experiences, available resources, time constraints, and external pressures.

How can one improve their decision making skills?

One can improve their decision making skills by practicing critical thinking, seeking diverse perspectives, considering potential consequences, and learning from past decisions. It can also be helpful to have a systematic approach, such as using decision-making models or seeking guidance from trusted mentors or advisors.