Decoherence thought experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of measuring the state of a memory qubit inside a quantum computer, which is equipped with a device that emits photons carrying the same qubit. Two observers, Alice and Bob, receive and measure these photons, resulting in different classical bits. The concept of entanglement is also mentioned, but it is pointed out that this idea violates the no-cloning theorem. The conversation is then concluded with the thread being closed due to the impossibility of the proposed concept.
jartsa
Let's say a memory qubit inside a quantum computer is in state

## α \left|1\right>+β\left|0\right> ##

This computer is equipped with a device that emits photons that carry the same qubit as the aforementioned memory location.

Alice and Bob, that are very far from each other, receive and measure those photons.

Let's say Bob measures this sequence of bits:

And Alice measures this sequence of bits:

I tried to make those sequences realistic looking in such case when probability of measuring either 1 or 0 is the same at the beginning.

Now Bob contains a classical bit 1, and Alice contains a classical bit 0.

Who has decohered here? The computer can still send out qubits to Joe and Jill, who can go to opposite classical states, so I guess the computer is not decohered. So it's more like Bob and Alice became decohered by their own measurements. Right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you right, what you are proposing is not possible.
jartsa said:
This computer is equipped with a device that emits photons that carry the same qubit as the aforementioned memory location.
This violates the no-cloning theorem. You could have a device that would spew out a pair of qubits in a predefined state, but not copy an arbitrary state.

Also, I see no entanglement in what you propose, so why do you need two qubits and two observers?

DrClaude said:
If I understand you right, what you are proposing is not possible.
This violates the no-cloning theorem. You could have a device that would spew out a pair of qubits in a predefined state, but not copy an arbitrary state.
I want Bob and Alice to measure the state of the memory location. I don't care if the state is predefined. I would also like there to be no collapse to 1 or 0 when Bob and Alice make the first measurement.

So how about if we entangle lot of photons with the memory location, send the photons to Bob and Alice, who are equipped with measuring devices that produce results with lot of uncertainty.

Now I hope that as Bob makes more and more measurements, Bob's state becomes gradually the state "I know the memory location is in state 1". And as Bob is using the not so good measuring device, a good measuring device located nearby changes so that it only measures photons to be in the state that correspond state 1 of the memory location.

I really think this violates the no-cloning theorem.

DrClaude said:
I really think this violates the no-cloning theorem.

So do I. Thread closed.

What is the Decoherence thought experiment?

The Decoherence thought experiment is a theoretical experiment in quantum mechanics that attempts to explain the phenomenon of wave-function collapse. It explores the concept of quantum superposition and how it interacts with the macroscopic world, leading to the emergence of classical behavior.

How does the Decoherence thought experiment work?

The experiment involves a system composed of two states, such as a particle in a superposition of two states or a quantum coin in a superposition of heads and tails. The system is then coupled to an environment, which causes it to lose its quantum coherence and behave classically. The process of decoherence is irreversible and results in a single definite outcome.

What is the significance of the Decoherence thought experiment?

The Decoherence thought experiment is significant because it provides a possible explanation for the transition from the quantum world to the classical world. It also helps to reconcile the discrepancy between the deterministic nature of classical mechanics and the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

What are the implications of the Decoherence thought experiment?

The Decoherence thought experiment has implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It suggests that our perception of a single, definite reality may be an emergent property of the interactions between quantum systems and their environments. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and information processing.

Are there any criticisms of the Decoherence thought experiment?

Yes, there are some criticisms of the Decoherence thought experiment. Some argue that it does not fully explain the process of wave-function collapse and that it relies on certain assumptions that may not be fully understood. Others argue that it does not address the measurement problem in quantum mechanics and that the role of the observer is still not fully understood in this context.