Decomposition formulas for rotational symmetries of a cube

In summary, to determine the decomposition of the sets $V, E, F$ into orbits for the stabilizers $G_v, G_e, G_f$ respectively, you must consider the orbits of each element under the respective group actions. For $V$, the orbits have orders $1$ and $3$, for $E$ they have orders $4$, and for $F$ they have orders $2$. This information can be used to check the work on the stabilizers for $E$ and $F$.
kalish1
I have a problem that I would like to check my work on. I am also stuck on the verifications for $E$ and $F$. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

**Problem statement:** Let $G$ be the group of rotational symmetries of a cube, let $G_v, G_e, G_f$ be the stabilizers of a vertex $v$, an edge $e$, and a face $f$ of the cube, and let $V, E, F$ be the sets of vertices, edges, and faces, respectively. Determine the formulas that represent the decomposition of each of the three sets into orbits for each of the subgroups. **Proposed solution:**

...so if $G$ acts transitively on the vertices, the orbit of one (and thus any) vertex $v$ has order $8$, which means that the index of the stabilizer $[G:G_v]$ = $8$, so there are $8$ cosets of $G_v$ in G.

If one knows that the rotational symmetry group of the cube is $S_4$, this tells you that $G_v$ has order $3$.

$G$ also acts transitively on the faces, so $G_f$ (for any face $f$) has order 4.

Finally, $G$ also acts transitively on the edges, so $G_e$ (for any edge $e$) has order $2$.

The class equation for these subsets of {faces, vertices, edges} is particularly simple.

It occurs to me, that I'm being asked to compute the orbits of $V,F,E$ under the respective actions induced by each group:

$G_v,G_f,G_e$ for some particular stabilizer in each set. This is somewhat of a different matter.

For example, say $V = {v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4,v_5,v_6,v_7,v_8}$. $G_{v_1}$ fixes $v_1$, so it's orbit is: ${v_1}$. If the opposite vertex is $v_7$, $G_{v_1}$ also fixes $v_7$, so its orbit is: ${v_7}$. The other two orbits have to have order $3$, since there are no other points fixed by $G_{v_1}$, except $v_1$ and $v_7$ and the size of the orbits has to divide $|G_{v_1}|$ (it helps to think about WHICH rotations $G_{v_1}$ must be: rotations about the axis between $v_1$ and $v_7$).

What about for E and F?

Physics news on Phys.org

For $E$, the stabilizer $G_e$ will have two orbits: one with the edges parallel to $e$ and one with the edges perpendicular to $e$. Each of these orbits will have order $4$, since there are four edges parallel to $e$ and four edges perpendicular to $e$.

For $F$, the stabilizer $G_f$ will also have two orbits: one with the faces parallel to $f$ and one with the faces perpendicular to $f$. Each of these orbits will have order $2$, since there are two faces parallel to $f$ and two faces perpendicular to $f$.

I hope this helps with your verification for $E$ and $F$. Let me know if you need any further clarification or assistance.

1. What is a decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube?

A decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube is a mathematical equation that breaks down the possible rotations of a cube into smaller, simpler rotations. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the symmetries in a cube.

2. How is a decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube derived?

A decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube is derived by considering the different axes of rotation and combining them in a way that covers all possible rotations. This involves using principles of group theory and geometry.

3. What is the significance of a decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube?

A decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube is significant because it allows for a deeper understanding of the symmetries present in a cube. It also helps in identifying and classifying different types of symmetries and their properties.

4. Can a decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube be applied to other shapes?

Yes, a decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube can be applied to other shapes, such as regular polyhedra. However, the specific formula may vary depending on the number of faces, edges, and vertices of the shape.

5. How does a decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube relate to real-life applications?

A decomposition formula for rotational symmetries of a cube can be used in various fields, such as crystallography, chemistry, and computer graphics. It helps in the analysis and creation of symmetrical structures and patterns, which have practical applications in design and manufacturing processes.