Finding the Number of Cubes in the Middle of a Decreasing Cube Tower

In summary, the conversation was about finding an equation for determining the number of cubes in a tower with a specific number in the center. The equation involves adding up a series of numbers and taking into account the center stack and four surrounding stacks. It may take some time to understand, but practicing with smaller examples can help.
chewtoy929
if you where to take something like a sugar cube stack it into a tower 6 cubes high than on each of the 4 sides stack sugar cubes in a decreasing amount so there are 6 cubes in the middle and 5 surrounding it on the four sides , then 4 surrounding that then 3, and so on. What I need is an equation for how to find a tower that has "x" amount of cubes in the middle. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have x cubes in the center stack, x-1 in the stack immediately to the right, then x-2, ..., on down to 1. Not counting that first stack, we have four stacks of x-1, x-2, ... cubes so that part is [itex]4\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} i[/itex]. Counting the center stack, that is a total of [itex]x+ 4\sum{i=1}^{n-1}[/itex]. There is a standard way to find that sum: it is 1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ ...+ (n-2)+ (n-1). Reverse that sum and you have (n-1)+ (n-2)+ ...+ 4+ 3+ 2+ 1. Add those two "term by term": 1+ (n-1)= n, 2+ (n-2)= n, 3+ (n-3)= n, ..., (n-2)+ 2= n, (n-1)+ 1= n. That, is each of those sums is n and there are n-1 sums. Notice that you have added the sum twice. You have to take that into account.

explain like I am 10

Are you 10? (This is important: if you are then explaining it in such abstract terms might be inappropriate.)

You gave the answer there at most 3 minutes thought. It may take you a little longer to digest than that. So try looking at it and thinking about it, perhaps by doing some smaller examples like 1 in the central tower, then 2, then 3...

no I am not it was an expression, but I don't understand the answer to the question in the first place, I think I can figure it out though, thanks.

1. What is a decreasing numbers equation?

A decreasing numbers equation is a mathematical equation that involves a variable that decreases in value as the equation is solved. This could be represented by a negative coefficient or a negative exponent.

2. How do you solve a decreasing numbers equation?

To solve a decreasing numbers equation, you can follow the same steps as solving any other equation. Begin by isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side. Then, use inverse operations to solve for the variable.

3. What are some real-life applications of decreasing numbers equations?

Decreasing numbers equations can be used in various fields such as economics, physics, and chemistry. For example, in economics, they can be used to model the decrease in demand for a product as prices increase. In physics, they can be used to calculate the decrease in velocity of an object due to friction. In chemistry, they can be used to model the decrease in concentration of a reactant over time.

4. Can a decreasing numbers equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a decreasing numbers equation can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the equation has more than one variable or when the variable being solved for has a range of possible values.

5. How can I check if my solution to a decreasing numbers equation is correct?

To check the solution to a decreasing numbers equation, you can substitute the value back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. You can also graph the equation and see if the solution falls on the graph.