Deducing a Molecular Formula from Mass Spectra

In summary, SiCl4 produces an oxychloride X with the mass spectrum showing peaks at mass numbers 133, 149, 247, 263 and 396. The attempt at a solution is hampered by the lack of information on x, y and z. x=3, y=8, and z=2 are the right answers in the answer key.
PFuser1232

Homework Statement

When reacted with a small quantity of water, SiCl4 produces an oxychloride X, SixClyOz. The mass spectrum of X shows peaks at mass numbers 133, 149, 247, 263 and 396. You should assume that the species responsible for all these peaks contain the 16O, 35Cl and 28Si isotopes only.

2. The attempt at a solution

The first step is fairly straightforward; the peak responsible for X is the 396 peak. Things start to get a little foggy when finding x, y and z.

##28x + 35y + 16z = 396##

How can I go about solving such an equation without using some sort of time-consuming trial and error method?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start assuming Si is bonded only to oxygen and chlorine (no Si-Si bonds) and there are no O-Cl bonds. That should give another equation, so you will be left with two unknowns only.

Borek said:
I would start assuming Si is bonded only to oxygen and chlorine (no Si-Si bonds) and there are no O-Cl bonds. That should give another equation, so you will be left with two unknowns only.

I don't see why there can't be Si-Si bonds.

MohammedRady97 said:
I don't see why there can't be Si-Si bonds.

Same thing goes for O-Cl bonds.

##28x + 35y + 16z = 396##
##x = z+1##
##y = 2x + 2##

Therefore:

##x = 3##
##y = 8##
##z = 2##

Which happens to me the right answer in my answer key. However, Si4Cl4O9 and Si8Cl4O2 are also given as acceptable alternatives.

It is not that Si-Si (or O-Cl) bonds are impossible, but in general in silicates silicon atoms are connected by an oxygen "bridge": Si-O-Si. Chlorine can replace oxygen, yielding Si-Cl, but it won't link two Si atoms like oxygen does.

Not sure what your equations are intended to mean. What I was hinting at is that all silicon valences are being used for bonds with oxygen and silicon, so 4x=y+2z.

Likes PFuser1232
Borek said:
It is not that Si-Si (or O-Cl) bonds are impossible, but in general in silicates silicon atoms are connected by an oxygen "bridge": Si-O-Si. Chlorine can replace oxygen, yielding Si-Cl, but it won't link two Si atoms like oxygen does.

Not sure what your equations are intended to mean. What I was hinting at is that all silicon valences are being used for bonds with oxygen and silicon, so 4x=y+2z.

Could you please elaborate on how exactly you arrived at this equation? My reasoning was based on drawing a couple of structures wherein Si atoms are joined by O bridges and noticing the pattern of how the number of Si atoms varies with the number of O atoms (##x = z + 1##) and how the number of Cl atoms varies with the number of Si atoms (##y = 2x + 2##).

4x is a number of bonds that x atoms of silicone silicone can make. y+2z is number of bonds that y atoms of chlorine and z atoms of oxygen can make. All are used, and as silicon bonds only to oxygen or chlorine, 4x=y+2z.

It is just an analogy, you would use the same formula to describe an ionic compound where Si is always +4, Cl is -1 and oxygen is -2. Silicon oxychloride is not an ionic compound, but the analogy works.

Likes PFuser1232

1. How does mass spectrometry work to determine the molecular formula of a compound?

Mass spectrometry works by ionizing a sample of a compound and then separating the resulting ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The mass spectrum produced shows the relative abundance of each ion, which can be used to determine the molecular weight of the compound.

2. What information can be obtained from a mass spectrum?

A mass spectrum can provide information about the relative abundance of each ion, the molecular weight of the compound, and the fragmentation pattern of the compound. This information can be used to determine the molecular formula of the compound.

3. What is the process for deducing a molecular formula from a mass spectrum?

The process for deducing a molecular formula from a mass spectrum involves identifying the most abundant ion in the spectrum, determining its mass-to-charge ratio, and then using this information to calculate the molecular weight. From there, the possible combinations of elements that could give this molecular weight are considered, and the most likely molecular formula is determined.

4. Can a mass spectrum provide a definitive molecular formula?

No, a mass spectrum cannot provide a definitive molecular formula on its own. It is a useful tool in combination with other techniques, such as elemental analysis and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, to confirm the molecular formula of a compound.

5. Can mass spectrometry be used to determine the structure of a compound?

Mass spectrometry can provide information about the fragmentation pattern of a compound, which can give clues about its structure. However, it is not able to determine the exact structure of a compound on its own. It is often used in conjunction with other techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy and X-ray crystallography, to fully determine the structure of a compound.