Definable relationships between 4 variables with 2 equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation in a book that the speaker does not fully understand. They question the logical connection between equations 3 and 4, and suggest that a linear relationship between the quantities involved may be necessary for equation 4 to hold true. The conversation also mentions the context of the derivation, which is a high school introduction to relativity using simple algebra and calculus.
Darren73
Hi,

I saw a derivation in a book and I don't see the logical connection. Suppose [itex]1.\ \ a=b \text{ and } 2.\ \ x=y[/itex]

Then [itex]3.\ \ a-b= \lambda (x-y) [/itex] makes sense to me since [itex] 0=\text{Anything}⋅0[/itex]

However they said "similarly" [itex]4.\ \ a+b= \mu (x+y) [/itex], and this I don't understand. To me [itex] a+b= 2a \text{ or }2b[/itex] and [itex] x+y=2x\text{ or }2y[/itex], so unless there was a defined linear relationship such as [itex]a \propto x \text{ or }y[/itex], OR [itex]b \propto x \text{ or } y[/itex], then I don't see how they could propose equation 4. to be necessarily true.

I may have a blind spot, if so please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It would help to get some context as to what the derivation was and what it was deriving, and in particular, what this relationship was used to prove. To me, it's just the statement: the quantity ##a+b## is related to the quantity ##x + y## by some constant ##\mu##. Clearly ##\mu \neq 0## since ##a + b \neq 0## and ##x + y \neq 0##.

This is taken from "The Einstein Theory of Relativity" by Lillian R. Lieber. It is supposed to be a high school introduction to relativity using simple algebra and calculus. From page 45 in the "First Paul Dry Books Edition, 2008".

In it we are supposing that there are two frames of reference (FORs), called K and K' moving with relative velocity v along a single dimension x. Within the K FOR it defines x = ct where as in the K' FOR x'=ct'. Earlier in the book it settled why x and x' are different within different FORs (because light signals used to measure distance depend on your relative velocity). And so is says that since x = ct and x' = ct' then we can get equations 3. and 4. that I posted above. From the physics of the situation maybe the necessary linear relationship is available, but if so it is not mentioned in the book.

1. How do you determine the relationship between four variables using only two equations?

This can be done by setting up a system of equations, where each equation includes all four variables. By solving the system, you can determine the values of the variables that satisfy both equations, thus showing their relationship.

2. What does it mean to have a definable relationship between four variables with two equations?

It means that the values of the four variables can be determined based on the given equations, and there is a clear pattern or connection between them. This allows for predictions and analysis of the variables.

3. Can you provide an example of a definable relationship between four variables with two equations?

One example is the Ideal Gas Law, where pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) are related by the equations PV = nRT and P = nRT/V. These equations show how changing one variable affects the others.

4. What are some real-world applications of having a definable relationship between four variables with two equations?

This type of relationship can be useful in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, where understanding the interactions between multiple variables is important. For example, in designing a car engine, engineers can use equations to determine the optimal combination of factors such as fuel efficiency, power, and emissions.

5. Are there any limitations to using two equations to show the relationship between four variables?

Yes, there can be limitations, as the equations may not accurately represent all possible scenarios or may not account for all factors that can affect the variables. Additionally, the equations may become more complex when dealing with nonlinear relationships or multiple variables. Further investigation and experimentation may be necessary to fully understand the relationship between the variables.