Define Newton's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd laws

• Thread starter Tale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, Newton's 1st law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. An example of this is a ball rolling on a flat surface without any external forces acting upon it. Newton's 2nd law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. An example of this is a car accelerating when the gas pedal is pressed down. Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. An example of this is a rocket launching into space. To change from weight to mass, you can use the equation W=mg, where W is weight, m
Tale
1. Define Newton's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd laws and give examples of each

2. How can you change from weight to mass and back with correct units?

3. Explain free fall - tell what happens when a feather and a hammer and dropped at the same height and why this happens

Physics news on Phys.org

Tale said:
1. Define Newton's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd laws and give examples of each

2. How can you change from weight to mass and back with correct units?

3. Explain free fall - tell what happens when a feather and a hammer and dropped at the same height and why this happens

I can do these questions, but can you?

Only the third part should require a bit of extra knowledge from my persepective.

rock.freak667 said:
I can do these questions, but can you?

Only the third part should require a bit of extra knowledge from my persepective.

I am trying to do this on my own i have no teacher

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Newton's first law?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What is Newton's third law?

Newton's third law, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

How do Newton's laws relate to each other?

Newton's laws are interrelated and build upon each other. The first law explains the concept of inertia, which is necessary for understanding the second law. The second law explains how forces affect an object's motion, and the third law explains how forces occur in pairs.

How do Newton's laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws can be applied to many aspects of everyday life. For example, the first law can explain why objects stay in place or continue to move unless acted upon by a force, such as a book staying on a shelf or a car continuing to move unless the brakes are applied. The second law can explain why it takes more force to push a heavier object than a lighter one. The third law can explain why we feel a force pushing us back when we walk or run, as our feet push against the ground and the ground pushes back against us.