Understanding Definite Integrals: Tips and Examples for Beginners

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of definite integrals and its application in finding distance and velocity. The conversation also touches on the derivative of definite integrals and clarifies that the derivative of a constant is 0. There is also a discussion about the notation of the derivative of definite integrals.
ryt
i start to study integrals, i couldn't understand some things.
definite integrals i didnt understand, ill show it on some eg. on v as derivative of disaonce s.

the eg. was to calc how many distance s = ? does a particle travell when we throw it in air (up) and v reaches 0.
so in time t = 0 we have v0 = 10 m/s. The v(t) is a linear func decreasing and reaches 0 at time t1.
So the distance s is the definite integral of v(t) on intervals t0 and t1, so it is the surface under the v(t) from t0 to t1.
Im ok since here, i wondered where is this integral on a s(t) graph, i asked my friend and he told me theat this surface is at t1 as s(t1). Then i wondered how would i find some s(t) at some time between t0 and t1, and ocured to me i would take definite integral from t0 to some time t<t1, i would calc it and i would have some s(t<t1).
But now what i don't understand is what would happen if i move t0 to some t0<0, and then calc definite integral from t0<0 to t1 and what would i get??

some other thing i don't understand is:
in my book it says the derivative od definite integral is f(x)
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \int_{a}^{x} f(t)dt = f(x) [/tex]

isnt it when we take definite integral of same func we get a number (rapresenting the surface under the function), so the derivative of a number is 0 not f(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
ryt said:
some other thing i don't understand is:
in my book it says the derivative od definite integral is f(x)
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \int_{a}^{x} f(t)dt = f(x) [/tex]

isnt it when we take definite integral of same func we get a number (rapresenting the surface under the function), so the derivative of a number is 0 not f(x)

Notice that the superior bound of the integral is x. So if f(x) has a primitive (i.e. if there exists a function F(x) such that F'(x)=f(x)), then [itex]\int_a^x f(t) dt[/itex]=F(x)-F(a). You can now differentiate this with respect to x, and you get just f(x), since F'(x)=f and F'(a)=0.

(Note that as soon as f is continuous on (a,b), it has a primitive on (a,b))

Last edited:
thx

how do u know F'(a)=0 ??

He meant differentiate f(a) (which is a number) with respect to x, not evaluate f'(x) at a.

quasar987 said:
Notice that the superior bound of the integral is x. So if f(x) has a primitive (i.e. if there exists a function F(x) such that F'(x)=f(x)), then [itex]\int_a^x f(t) dt[/itex]=F(x)-F(a). You can now differentiate this with respect to x, and you get just f(x), since F'(x)=f and F'(a)=0.

(Note that as soon as f is continuous on (a,b), it has a primitive on (a,b))

No, F'(a) is not 0, it is f(a). What you may have meant to say is that [itex]F(a= \int_a^a f(t)dt)= 0[/itex].

?!

But Halls, if you agree that that if F is a primitive of f, then the derivative of the function G(x) =[itex]\int_a^x f(t) dt=F(x)-F(a)[/itex], is F'(x) + [itex]\frac{d}{dx}F(a)[/itex], but F(a) is a constant, so that's 0.

the derivative of F(a) (for a a constant) is not the same as F'(a).

ok sorry about the bad notation..

thx :) i understand it now

FAQ: Understanding Definite Integrals: Tips and Examples for Beginners

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is denoted by ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function and dx represents the infinitesimal width of the rectangles being summed to calculate the area.

2. How is a definite integral different from an indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give a function.

3. What is the process for solving a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you must first identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as the substitution method or integration by parts, to find the antiderivative of the function. Finally, you can evaluate the definite integral by plugging in the limits of integration into the antiderivative.

4. Can a definite integral have negative values?

Yes, a definite integral can have negative values. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values or when the area under the curve between the limits of integration is below the x-axis.

5. How is the definite integral used in real-life applications?

The definite integral is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine displacement, finding the total cost of an item by integrating a cost function, or determining the volume of an irregularly shaped object by using the cross-sectional area as the function and the limits of integration as the height of the object.