Definite integral involving the natural log function

In summary, the \arctan function is equivalent to \tan^{-1} but the cotangent function, \cot, is not the same as \tan^{-1}. The reason for using one over the other depends on the context and preference.
bmanmcfly
I figured I would just add this new problem over here, rather than starting a new thread.

Im looking to solve integration leading to arctan or arcsin results.

\(\displaystyle \int_{1}^{e}\frac{3dx}{x(1+\ln(x)^2})\)

Looking at this, it feels like this has an arctan in the result, but I would have to multiply the x with the \(\displaystyle (1+\ln(x)^2)\) and then would figure out a difference of squares to figure out the integral...

that ln(x) is what is screwing me up...

So, I guess I'm asking how working with the ln(x)^2 would be different from working with just an x.

Side question, what is the difference really between \(\displaystyle tan^{-1}, Cot and arctan\) it seems to me that these are just different ways of saying cos/sin. Is there something else significant that I'm ignorant about?

Physics news on Phys.org
We actually prefer that you begin a new topic for a new question rather than tag a new question onto an existing topic, as per rule #8. I have split the topic so that your new question has its own topic. :D

For this definite integral, I recommend using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\ln(x)\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

Now, being mindful to change the limits in accordance with the substitution, how may you now rewrite the integral?

MarkFL said:
We actually prefer that you begin a new topic for a new question rather than tag a new question onto an existing topic, as per rule #8. I have split the topic so that your new question has its own topic. :D

For this definite integral, I recommend using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\ln(x)\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

Now, being mindful to change the limits in accordance with the substitution, how may you now rewrite the integral?
Woops, I was thinking it would keep things more streamline... Not important.

As for the integral,

Thanks for the pointer, the limits would change to ln(e)- ln(1) or 1-0.
let me know if I got you right...
\(\displaystyle 3\int_{\ln(1)}^{\ln(e)}\frac{(\frac{1}{u}du)}{(1+u^2)}\)

This gives \(\displaystyle 3\tan^{-1}(u)|_{\ln(1)}^{\ln(e)}
\)

Thanks again so much, you don't even know.

You've got the right idea...I would think of the integral as:

\(\displaystyle \int_1^e\frac{3}{x(1+\ln^2(x))}\,dx=3\int_1^e \frac{1}{\ln^2(x)+1}\cdot\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

Now, when you make the substitution, you may write:

\(\displaystyle 3\int_0^1\frac{1}{u^2+1}\,du=3\left[\tan^{-1}(u) \right]_0^1\)

MarkFL said:
You've got the right idea...I would think of the integral as:

\(\displaystyle \int_1^e\frac{3}{x(1+\ln^2(x))}\,dx=3\int_1^e \frac{1}{\ln^2(x)+1}\cdot\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

Now, when you make the substitution, you may write:

\(\displaystyle 3\int_0^1\frac{1}{u^2+1}\,du=3\left[\tan^{-1}(u) \right]_0^1\)

Now, the other part of the question;

Is there any significant difference between \(\displaystyle \tan^{-1} , \cot, \and \arctan \)??It seems that all mean the same thing? What's the reason to use one over the other? Cause to me it seems just preference.

Well, we do have:

\(\displaystyle \arctan(x)\equiv\tan^{-1}(x)\)

However, the cotangent function is the multiplicative inverse of the tangent funtion, not the functional inverse, and this is a common misconception among students.

\(\displaystyle \cot(\theta)\equiv\frac{1}{\tan(x)}\)

whereas if:

\(\displaystyle x=\tan(\theta)\) then \(\displaystyle \theta=\tan^{-1}(x)\)

usually defined where \(\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{2}<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2}\).

It can be a confusing notation, where for variables, we take:

\(\displaystyle x^{-1}=\frac{1}{x}\)

but for functions:

\(\displaystyle f^{-1}(x)\ne\frac{1}{f(x)}\)

and by definition:

\(\displaystyle f^{-1}\left(f(x) \right)=x\)

What is a definite integral involving the natural log function?

A definite integral involving the natural log function is an integral that involves the natural logarithm (ln) of a variable within the limits of integration. It represents the area under the curve of a function that is defined by the natural log.

What is the formula for a definite integral involving the natural log function?

The formula for a definite integral involving the natural log function is ∫(lnx)dx = xlnx - x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve a definite integral involving the natural log function?

To solve a definite integral involving the natural log function, you must first rewrite the integral using the formula ∫(lnx)dx = xlnx - x + C. Then, you can use the limits of integration to evaluate the integral and find the numerical value of the area under the curve.

What are the common applications of definite integrals involving the natural log function?

Definite integrals involving the natural log function have many applications in mathematics and science. They are often used to calculate the probability density function in statistics, as well as in the fields of physics and engineering to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay.

Are there any special rules or techniques for solving definite integrals involving the natural log function?

Yes, there are a few special rules and techniques that can be used to solve definite integrals involving the natural log function. These include integration by parts, substitution, and using the properties of logarithms to simplify the integral before solving it.