Definite integral of a quarter circle

In summary, the definite integral of a quarter circle with a radius of 10 can be solved using a trigonometric substitution and the double angle formula for cosine. The final answer is 5π/2. However, another method using polar coordinates can also be used, which simplifies the integral to 5π/4.
Painguy

Homework Statement

Find the definite integral of a quarter circle.

Homework Equations

x^2 +y^2=10

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2=10-y^2
x=sqrt(10-y^2)

∫ sqrt(10-y^2)dy from 0 to sqrt(10)

I'm not sure what to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's a circle, so you can probably guess that a factor of ##\pi## should pop out somehow. What kind of substitution do you think that fact might suggest you should use?

I guess I should use a trig substitution. 10cos(θ)^2 +10sin(θ)^2=10
√(10) cos(θ) = √(10-10sin(θ)
y=√(10)sin(θ)
∫√(10-(10)sin(θ)) dy
dy=√(10)cos(θ)dθ
∫√(10-(10)sin(θ)) √(10) cos(θ) dθ
∫√(10) cos(θ) √(10) cos(θ) dθ
arcsin(t/sqrt(10))=θ
10 ∫cos(θ)^2 dθ

how do i evaluate that last integral?

Last edited:
Painguy said:
I guess I should use a trig substitution. 10cos(θ)^2 +10sin(θ)^2=10
√(10) cos(θ) = √(10-10sin(θ)
y=√(10)sin(θ)
∫√(10-(10)sin(θ)) dy
dy=√(10)cos(θ)dθ
∫√(10-(10)sin(θ)) √(10) cos(θ) dθ
∫√(10) cos(θ) √(10) cos(θ) dθ
arcsin(t/sqrt(10))=θ
10 ∫cos(θ)^2 dθ

how do i evaluate that last integral?

There's an identity that relates ##\cos^2\theta## to ##\cos(2\theta)##. Do you know it? If not, you can derive it. Consider the double angle formula for cos:

$$\cos(A+B) = \cos A \cos B - \sin A \sin B$$

Pick A and B appropriately and then use Pythagoras' theorem to derive the identity, then plug that into your integral.

Mute said:
There's an identity that relates ##\cos^2\theta## to ##\cos(2\theta)##. Do you know it? If not, you can derive it. Consider the double angle formula for cos:

$$\cos(A+B) = \cos A \cos B - \sin A \sin B$$

Pick A and B appropriately and then use Pythagoras' theorem to derive the identity, then plug that into your integral.

cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-1 +cos^2(x)
cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1
cos(2x)/2 +1/2

5∫ 1 dθ + ∫ cos(2θ) dθ

5θ + sin(2θ)/2 from 0 to pi/2

5pi/2 ?

Oh man that was not fun. :/ Thanks for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Painguy said:
cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1
cos(2x)/2 +1/2

5∫ 1 dθ + ∫ cos(2θ) dθ

5pi/2 ?

Yep, that's the answer! It's easy to check, too: since it's a quarter of a circle of radius ##\sqrt{10}##, you expect the answer to be ##\pi (\sqrt{10})^2/4 = 5\pi/4##, which is what you got.

There's another way to do this which is simpler, but you have to start it off a bit differently than you did, and I didn't know if you've studied polar coordinates or double integrals yet.

You integral is basically

$$\int_0^{\sqrt{10}} dy \int_0^{\sqrt{10-y^2}}dx;$$
doing the x integral gives you the integral you started with. However, converting to polar coordinates ##x = r\cos\theta##, ##y=r\sin\theta##, ##dxdy \rightarrow d\theta dr r## turns the integral into

$$\int_0^{\pi/2} d\theta \int_0^{\sqrt{10}} dr r,$$

which is much easier to do.

Painguy said:
cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1
cos(2x)/2 +1/2

5∫ 1 dθ + ∫ cos(2θ) dθ

5pi/2 ?

Odd. I would have considered that a lot of fun and very satisfying!

1. What is the formula for calculating the definite integral of a quarter circle?

The formula for calculating the definite integral of a quarter circle is ∫ √(r2 - x2) dx, where r is the radius of the quarter circle and x is the variable of integration.

2. How do you find the area under a quarter circle using a definite integral?

To find the area under a quarter circle using a definite integral, you can use the formula ∫ √(r2 - x2) dx, where r is the radius of the quarter circle and x is the variable of integration. Simply integrate this formula over the desired bounds of the quarter circle to find the area.

3. Can the definite integral of a quarter circle be negative?

No, the definite integral of a quarter circle cannot be negative. The definite integral represents the area under the curve, and since the curve is always above the x-axis in a quarter circle, the area will always be positive.

4. What is the relationship between a quarter circle and its definite integral?

The definite integral of a quarter circle represents the area under the curve of the quarter circle. This means that the value of the definite integral will be equal to the area of the quarter circle, as long as the bounds of integration cover the entire quarter circle.

5. How can the definite integral of a quarter circle be used in real-world applications?

The definite integral of a quarter circle can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a dome or dome-shaped container. It can also be used in physics to calculate the work done by a force moving in a circular path. In engineering, the definite integral of a quarter circle can be used to determine the stress and strain on a curved surface.