Definite integrals with +ve and -ve values

In summary, it is possible to calculate the total area under a sine function without breaking down the limits, but it depends on whether the question is asking for the integral or the area. Using absolute value as a shortcut is not a viable option.
HuskyLab
I understand that if you have a function in which you want to determine the full (i.e. account for positive and negative values) integral you need to break down your limits into separate intervals accordingly.

Is there any way in which you can avoid this or is it mathematically impossible? If so, can someone explain to me why you can't?

I thought about trying to incorporate a rectified sine wave (abs(sinx) as an alternative but is such a function applicable/usable (is it even considered continuous)? How do you represent and integrate such a function algebraically?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what you mean by the full integral.

Perhaps what you are searching for is the RMS (root mean square) value, which is
$$\sqrt{\int_a^b f(x)^2\,dx}$$
This is used for instance as a measure of average voltage and current in AC circuits, since the simple integral will be close to zero because the positives and negatives cancel each other out.

andrewkirk said:
It depends what you mean by the full integral.

Perhaps what you are searching for is the RMS (root mean square) value, which is
$$\sqrt{\int_a^b f(x)^2\,dx}$$
This is used for instance as a measure of average voltage and current in AC circuits, since the simple integral will be close to zero because the positives and negatives cancel each other out.
So squaring the function will rectify it and then the subsequent values calculated in the integral of interval a->b then rooted will be the same as:
$$\int_a^b |sin(x)|\,dx$$

Is that correct?

So I just calculated it myself and they are not equivalent.

$$\int_a^b |sin(x)|\,dx \neq \sqrt{\int_a^b f(x)^2\,dx}$$

Last edited:
HuskyLab said:
So squaring the function will rectify it and then the subsequent values calculated in the integral of interval a->b then rooted will be the same as:
$$\int_a^b |sin(x)|\,dx$$

Is that correct?

So I just calculated it myself and they are not equivalent.

$$\int_a^b |sin(x)|\,dx \neq \sqrt{\int_a^b f(x)^2\,dx}$$
But these are equal:
$$\int_a^b |sin(x)|\,dx = \int_a^b \sqrt{\sin^2(x)}\,dx$$

for the reason that ##|x| = \sqrt{x^2}##, by definition.

Mark44 said:
But these are equal:
$$\int_a^b |sin(x)|\,dx = \int_a^b \sqrt{\sin^2(x)}\,dx$$

for the reason that ##|x| = \sqrt{x^2}##, by definition.
Yeah, that makes sense. Do you know of any way in which you can calculate the total area under a sine function without breaking down the limits or does the question itself not make sense? Integrating something akin to a rectified sine wave? $$|sin(x)|$$

HuskyLab said:
Yeah, that makes sense. Do you know of any way in which you can calculate the total area under a sine function without breaking down the limits or does the question itself not make sense? Integrating something akin to a rectified sine wave? $$|sin(x)|$$
It depends on whether the question asks for the integral, say, ##\int_a^b \sin(x)dx## or the area between the graph of y = sin(x) and the x-axis between x = a and x = b. If the question asks for area, you need to consider the intervals where the graph lies above the x-axis and those intervals where the graph is below. Changing to absolute value doesn't seem like a reasonable shortcut to me, as you still need to replace |sin(x)| by sin(x) on the intervals where sin(x) >= 0, and to -sin(x) on the intervals where sin(x) < 0.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function between two specific points on the x-axis.

2. How do you find the value of a definite integral?

To find the value of a definite integral, you first need to find the antiderivative of the function. Then, you plug in the upper and lower limits of integration and subtract the antiderivative evaluated at the lower limit from the antiderivative evaluated at the upper limit.

3. What are positive and negative values in a definite integral?

In a definite integral, positive values represent the area above the x-axis, while negative values represent the area below the x-axis. This is because the area above the x-axis is considered a positive value, and the area below the x-axis is considered a negative value.

4. Can a definite integral have both positive and negative values?

Yes, a definite integral can have both positive and negative values. This occurs when the function being integrated has both positive and negative values, resulting in areas above and below the x-axis.

5. How do positive and negative values affect the value of a definite integral?

The positive and negative values in a definite integral are added together to determine the overall value. For example, if the positive values have a total area of 10 units and the negative values have a total area of 5 units, the overall value of the definite integral would be 5 units.