Definite integration by U subsitution

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving an integration problem using U substitution. The initial substitution of U=t was incorrect and the correct substitution was suggested as u = √t. The conversation also discusses the derivative of u2 and t and the importance of following forum rules.
steel1

Homework Statement

∫√(t)(10+t)(dt)

note, only the t is under the square root.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. I have to solve this integration problem by U substitution.
To start, I am not entirely sure what to even set U equal to. I let it equal the number under the square root.

So,

U=t
Du=dx

But where do i go after this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there, welcome to PF.

Your substitution is wrong, and your derivative as well. You should've gotten u = t so du = dt.

That will still be wrong though.

Try the substitution u = [itex]\sqrt{t}[/itex].

ok. If i set U=√t and Du=dt, where do i go from there? the du=dx was a typo.

steel1 said:
ok. If i set U=√t and Du=dt, where do i go from there? the du=dx was a typo.
No, if u=√t du will not equal dt. For the purposes of figuring out the substitution for dt it will be more helpful to write the substitution as u2=t. What does that give when you differentiate?

derivative of u^2=t is 2u=1?

If somebody could just do the entire thing via U substitution, that would be great. Then I can see how you did it. I'll be refreshing this page every few minutes.

steel1 said:

Homework Statement

∫√(t)(10+t)(dt)

note, only the t is under the square root.
That's clear from the parentheses you have.
steel1 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. I have to solve this integration problem by U substitution.
To start, I am not entirely sure what to even set U equal to. I let it equal the number under the square root.

So,

U=t
Du=dx
This is NEVER a good substitution, since all you're doing is changing to a different letter. Also, the second line should be du = dt, not du = dx.
steel1 said:
But where do i go after this?

Do you have to use a substitution?

If not, rewrite the integrand this way:
√(t) (10 + t) = 10√(t) + t√(t) = 10t1/2 + t3/2

Mark44 said:
That's clear from the parentheses you have.
This is NEVER a good substitution, since all you're doing is changing to a different letter. Also, the second line should be du = dt, not du = dx.

Yeah, this is what i have so far

U^2=t

2du=dt

Mark44 said:
Do you have to use a substitution?

If not, rewrite the integrand this way:
√(t) (10 + t) = 10√(t) + t√(t) = 10t1/2 + t3/2

yes, i would prefer to solve this by u substitution, so i can see how its done.

steel1 said:
derivative of u^2=t is 2u=1?

No on two counts. First, you're not taking derivatives - you're getting the differentials of u2 and t.

Second, the differential of t is dt, not 1.

Here's how it works for both sides:

d(u2) = d(u2)/dt * dt = 2u * du
d(t) = d(t)/dt * dt = 1 * dt

steel1 said:
If somebody could just do the entire thing via U substitution, that would be great. Then I can see how you did it. I'll be refreshing this page every few minutes.

You're new here, so there's a good chance you haven't looked at the forum rules, even though you said you did when you signed on. Take a look at the rules by following the link, especially the Homework Help section.

You'll see that we won't do the work for you, but we'll help you do the work by guiding you in the right direction.

steel1 said:
yes, i would prefer to solve this by u substitution, so i can see how its done.
OK, that's a reasonable reason. Follow the suggestions made by Zondrina and haruspex.

1. What is "U substitution" in definite integration?

"U substitution" is a technique used to solve definite integrals that involve a variable raised to a power. It involves substituting a new variable (usually represented by "u") in place of the original variable, and then rewriting the integral in terms of the new variable.

2. Why is "U substitution" useful in definite integration?

"U substitution" can make it easier to solve integrals by simplifying the integrand and making it easier to apply integration techniques. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships in the integral that may not have been apparent before.

3. How do you choose the appropriate "U" for "U substitution" in definite integration?

The appropriate "U" for "U substitution" is usually chosen based on the form of the integral. It should be a variable that, when substituted in, will result in a simpler integrand. Some common choices for "U" include trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and polynomials.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using "U substitution" in definite integration?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using "U substitution" include forgetting to substitute the differential "dx" and failing to properly rewrite the limits of integration in terms of the new variable. It's also important to check that the new integral is equivalent to the original integral and that the substitution was performed correctly.

5. Are there any other techniques for solving definite integrals besides "U substitution"?

Yes, there are several other techniques for solving definite integrals, such as integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. The choice of which technique to use will depend on the form of the integral and the desired outcome.