1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite Integration with Upper bound as another integral

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    i have a similar one.

f(x) = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dt}{\sqrt{1+t^3}}[/itex] on (0, g(x))

g(x) = [itex]\int[/itex](1+sin(t^2))dt on (0, cos(x))

that is, these are definite integrals on the interval from zero up to the given function.

the question is to solve f'(pi/2). the correct answer is -1 but i don't understand how to get it. i'm aware that integrating sin(t^2) leads to a fresnel, but i'm pretty sure that's not what we're supposed to be doing here since it's a challenge problem from a calc 2 text on the chapter with FTC. what i got was that g(pi/2) should be 0 since cos(pi/2)=0 and any integral on (a,a)=0. then we'd have f'(pi/2) = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+g(\frac{\pi}{2})^3}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+0^3}}[/itex] = 1, but obviously this is incorrect. halp?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Definite Integration with Upper bound as another integral.

Look at the Leibniz integral rule, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule in the section under 'Variable limits'. You need to multiply by a derivative of the upper limit with respect to x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook