Definition of a canonical variable

In summary, a canonical variable is a generalized coordinate and its corresponding coniugated momentum in a system described by a Lagrangian and Hamiltonian. The canonical variables must also have a generator that connects them coherently. A change in the canonical variables results in a change in the form of the differential equations of motion, but the equations still follow a 'canonical' form. Poisson brackets can be used to test if a coordinate transformation will result in canonical variables.
ehrenfest
Can someone give me a good definition of a canonical variable? I have seen it in the context of Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. I currently understand it as a "generalization" or an "abstraction" of a regular variable, but there has got to be a better definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
First you define the system with a Lagrangian (function of generalized coordinates, their time derivatives and time). From that Lagrangian you form the Hamiltonian (function of generalized coordinates, momenta and time). Those generalized coordinates and momenta are canonical cause the Hamilton equations of motion look in the 'canonical way':

[tex] \frac{dq}{dt} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dp}{dt} = - \frac{\partial H}{\partial q} [/tex]

Now later you may decide to change the generalized coordinates, momenta and even time to other coordinates: (q, p, t) -> (Q, P, T). A change of the variables in general changes the form of the differential equations of motion. The new variables are called canonical if then new equations of motion have the same 'canonical' form albeit with different effective Hamiltonian K:

[tex] \frac{dQ}{dT} = \frac{\partial K}{\partial P} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dP}{dT} = - \frac{\partial K}{\partial Q} [/tex]

You can test if a coordinate transformation of (q, p, t) will be canonical by using Poisson brackets.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
Can someone give me a good definition of a canonical variable? I have seen it in the context of Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. I currently understand it as a "generalization" or an "abstraction" of a regular variable, but there has got to be a better definition.
First you have to find the generalized coordinates {[tex] q_i[/tex]} of the n degrees of freedom system as n parameters which identify univocally the system's state.

Once defined the n generalized coordinates {[tex] q_i[/tex]} i = 1,..n and the relative lagrangian [tex]L(q_i,\dot {q_i},t)[/tex], then coniugated momentums are defined as

[tex]p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot {q_i}}[/tex]

The set of all {[tex] q_i[/tex]} and {[tex] p_i[/tex]} are the canonical variables. The Hamiltonian function is defined as:

[tex]H(q_i,p_i,t) = \sum p_i {\dot {q_i}} - L[/tex]

Then canonical equations come from that.

Last edited:
actually definition above is not completely true. i believe that definition is given in goldstein's book.
but in that logic, you can not distinguish one dynamical system from another. (Both have canonical looking equation) So if you write down two equations and start claiming both of them are for one dynamical system, then with your logic you there is no way to refute them. for example, harmonic oscillator has canonical variable q,p, and Hamiltonian H. say, gravitational system has P,Q, K. Then obviously P,Q,K are not canonical variables and Hamiltonian for harmonic oscillator. But according to above definition, they are.

Additional element to complete the definition is that you should have generator F, that connects two sets coherently. So you should think of canonical variables as a member of family of variables with Hamiltonian satisfying Hamiton's equation AND connected with each other through fenerator F.

Related to Definition of a canonical variable

1. What is a canonical variable?

A canonical variable is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the relationship between two sets of variables. It is a set of variables that are chosen to simplify the equations describing a system, often by eliminating redundancies or simplifying the form of the equations.

2. How is a canonical variable different from a regular variable?

A canonical variable is different from a regular variable because it is specifically chosen to simplify the equations describing a system. It may not have a physical interpretation or direct measurement like a regular variable, and its values may not be directly observable.

3. What is the importance of canonical variables in physics?

Canonical variables are important in physics because they allow us to simplify complex systems and make them more manageable to study. They also reveal important relationships and symmetries that exist within a system, making it easier to analyze and understand.

4. How are canonical variables related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Canonical variables are closely related to Hamiltonian mechanics, a branch of classical mechanics that uses Hamilton's equations to describe systems in terms of generalized coordinates and momenta. Canonical variables are often used to transform a system into one that can be described by Hamilton's equations.

5. Can canonical variables be used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, canonical variables can be used in quantum mechanics. In fact, they are often used to express the commutation relations between observables in quantum mechanics. Canonical quantization is a method that uses canonical variables to transform a classical system into a quantum one.