Definition of a reversible process

In summary: Change of state eg melting is an example of a natural reversible process.A change of state due to an infinitessimal temperature difference between the substance and the surroundings would be reversible. But this does not occur in nature. It would take an infinite amount of time. A change of state in nature can be close to reversible. For example, an ice cube in a glass of ice water at 0C. For it to melt reversibly, the room would have to be kept at 0C. But if it is in a room at 0C the ice will never melt. If the room is 1C, the ice will eventually melt but slowly. That would be close to a reversible process.A change of state due
spaghetti3451
I have seen a reversible process defined as one in which the system and surroundings are restored to their initial state without change elsewhere. As far as I am aware, the system and the surroundings completely occupy the universe. So, I am failing to understand what elsewhere means in this context.

Please enlighten me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also wondering why reversible processes do not occur in nature. Anyone wants to take on the challenge?

failexam said:
I have seen a reversible process defined as one in which the system and surroundings are restored to their initial state without change elsewhere. As far as I am aware, the system and the surroundings completely occupy the universe. So, I am failing to understand what elsewhere means in this context.

Please enlighten me.
The system and surroundings = universe. But you are only interested in the part of the universe that is affected by the process. The universe is constantly changing so you can never actually restore the same state of the universe. So we say that the system and surroundings can be restored to their initial state IF you were to assume that there were no other changes occurring other than those relating to the particular thermodynamic process you are concerned with.

AM

failexam said:
I am also wondering why reversible processes do not occur in nature. Anyone wants to take on the challenge?
Reversible processes require heat to flow due to infinitessimal temperature differences and changes in volume to occur due to infinitesimal pressure differences, so they take an infinite time. The reversible process represents a limit that can be approached but never achieved.

AM

Change of state eg melting is an example of a natural reversible process.

Andrew Mason said:
The reversible process represents a limit that can be approached but never achieved.

To put it another way, a reversible process is to thermodynamics what a frictionless surface is to classical mechanics.

Andrew Mason said:
But you are only interested in the part of the universe that is affected by the process.

How can we be sure that the entire universe is not affected by the process?

Andrew Mason said:
The universe is constantly changing so you can never actually restore the same state of the universe.

But are we not considering an ideal universe where the parameters of only the system can be altered? In other words, are we not considering a universe where the surroundings can modify only if there is a change within the system?

failexam said:
How can we be sure that the entire universe is not affected by the process?
A reversible process is a theoretical limit. The assumption is that the rest of the universe is not affected during the time it takes for the process to occur.

But are we not considering an ideal universe where the parameters of only the system can be altered? In other words, are we not considering a universe where the surroundings can modify only if there is a change within the system?
I am not sure what you mean. Can you give an example?

AM

Studiot said:
Change of state eg melting is an example of a natural reversible process.
A change of state due to an infinitessimal temperature difference between the substance and the surroundings would be reversible. But this does not occur in nature. It would take an infinite amount of time. A change of state in nature can be close to reversible. For example, an ice cube in a glass of ice water at 0C. For it to melt reversibly, the room would have to be kept at 0C. But if it is in a room at 0C the ice will never melt. If the room is 1C, the ice will eventually melt but slowly. That would be close to a reversible process. If the room is kept at 20C it will melt much faster, but at the expense of a greater increase in entropy.

AM

Last edited:

1. What is a reversible process?

A reversible process is a process in which the system and its surroundings can return to their original state without causing any changes in the environment. This means that all the changes that occur during the process are reversible, and the system can be restored to its initial state without any loss of energy.

2. What is the difference between a reversible and irreversible process?

In a reversible process, the system and its surroundings can return to their original state without any changes to the environment. In contrast, an irreversible process involves energy transfer or dissipation, resulting in permanent changes to the system and its surroundings.

3. What are some examples of reversible processes?

Some examples of reversible processes include melting and freezing of a solid, boiling and condensation of a liquid, and expansion and compression of a gas in a piston-cylinder system.

4. Why is a reversible process considered ideal?

A reversible process is considered ideal because it can be reversed without any loss of energy. In other words, the system is in thermodynamic equilibrium throughout the process, and there is no entropy generation. This makes it easier to analyze and calculate the properties of the system.

5. Can all processes be reversible?

No, not all processes can be reversible. In reality, all processes have some degree of irreversibility due to factors such as friction, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. However, some processes can be approximated as reversible under certain conditions, such as slow and quasi-static processes.