Definition of Curvature for Sphere in Relativistic Cosmology

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, the conversation discusses the curvature of a sphere in section 27.3 of "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie. The expression for the curvature is given by 6\pi \frac{C_{exp}-C_{meas}}{C_{exp}A_{exp}} and is derived from the expected and measured circumferences and area of a circle on the sphere. The concept of Gaussian curvature is also mentioned as a related topic.
maverick280857
Hi.

I am reading "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie, for a summer project. In section 27.3 (Relativistic Cosmology) the curvature of a sphere is given by

[tex]6\pi \frac{C_{exp}-C_{meas}}{C_{exp}A_{exp}}[/tex]

The situation is as follows:

Consider a sphere of radius R. An ant is moving on the sphere at a fixed polar angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. The ant measures the circumference [itex]C_{meas} = 2\pi R\sin\theta[/itex] whereas the expected value of circumference is [itex]C_{exp} = 2\pi D[/itex] where [itex]D = R\theta[/itex]. The expected area of the circle is [itex]A_{exp} = \pi D^2[/itex].

I am not sure how the above expression leads to the curvature of the sphere...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Cheers
Vivek.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding of this is that the ant walks in a circle, not a great circle. In this case the expression you quote gives the curvature of the sphere. Imagine the ant walking is a circle on a flat surface, then let the flat surface curve. The ratio of the diameter to the radius changes.

Mentz114, thanks for your reply. I'm not clear about the way the curvature has been written in terms of the two circumferences and the area, and also the [itex]6\pi[/itex] factor. How does all that come in?

maverick280857 said:
Hi.

I am reading "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie, for a summer project. In section 27.3 (Relativistic Cosmology) the curvature of a sphere is given by

[tex]6\pi \frac{C_{exp}-C_{meas}}{C_{exp}A_{exp}}[/tex]

The situation is as follows:

Consider a sphere of radius R. An ant is moving on the sphere at a fixed polar angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. The ant measures the circumference [itex]C_{meas} = 2\pi R\sin\theta[/itex] whereas the expected value of circumference is [itex]C_{exp} = 2\pi D[/itex] where [itex]D = R\theta[/itex]. The expected area of the circle is [itex]A_{exp} = \pi D^2[/itex].

I am not sure how the above expression leads to the curvature of the sphere...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Cheers
Vivek.
That relation is teh Gaussian Curvature for a two dimensional surface. Gaussian curvature is not defined for spaces higher than two.

Pete

maverick280857 , if you want a derivation, check out Wiki on 'Gaussian curvature'. There's even an expression in terms of Christoffel symbols.

Mentz114 said:
maverick280857 , if you want a derivation, check out Wiki on 'Gaussian curvature'. There's even an expression in terms of Christoffel symbols.

Thanks, I'm still learning these things and I don't know much about them. The page you have referred to does not explain the origin of the particular definition of curvature used here. But I will keep looking.

Ok, so I guess its a special case of the expression given there, for 2 dimensions.

What is the definition of curvature for a sphere in relativistic cosmology?

In relativistic cosmology, the curvature of a sphere is a measure of the deviation of its geometry from that of a flat Euclidean space. It is defined by the radius of curvature, which describes the radius of a circle that best approximates the curvature of the sphere at a given point.

How is the curvature of a sphere measured in relativistic cosmology?

The curvature of a sphere in relativistic cosmology is measured using the Ricci curvature tensor, a mathematical object that describes the geometric properties of spacetime. This tensor is used to calculate the scalar curvature, which is a measure of the overall curvature at a given point on the sphere.

What is the significance of curvature in relativistic cosmology?

The curvature of a sphere in relativistic cosmology is a crucial factor in understanding the shape and dynamics of the universe. It is related to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, and can provide insights into the expansion rate and ultimate fate of the universe.

How does the curvature of a sphere in relativistic cosmology compare to that of a flat space?

In a flat space, the curvature is zero, meaning that the geometry is completely smooth and unchanging. In contrast, the curvature of a sphere in relativistic cosmology is non-zero, indicating that the geometry is curved and may change over time due to the effects of gravity.

Can the curvature of a sphere in relativistic cosmology be observed or measured?

Yes, the curvature of a sphere in relativistic cosmology can be measured using various astronomical observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation or the distribution of galaxies in the universe. These observations can provide valuable information about the curvature and overall geometry of the universe.