Understanding Infinite Limits: Clarifying the Definition and Misconceptions

In summary, the statement "for each M > 0 there exists δ > 0 such that f(x) > M" means that for any given M, there exists a delta ball around the limit point where all x values within the ball will be greater than M. This implies that no finite number can be the limit, and the function is not bounded near the limit point. However, one must be careful about the order in which this is stated to avoid misinterpretation.
Bashyboy
I have attached this definition that my book provides. My question is does that part "for each M > 0 there exists δ > 0 such that f(x) > M, mean that whenever you M close to the limit, you can find a δ that will give M1 that is closer to the limit?

Attachments

• PF.JPG
    PF.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 526
  • PF2.JPG
    PF2.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there more information that is needed? Because that is all the information contained in the book.

No, just don't expect people to be sitting around waiting to answer your question! To get a response within 24 or 48 hours is pretty good.

Does that part "for each M > 0 there exists δ > 0 such that f(x) > M, mean that whenever you M close to the limit, you can find a δ that will give M1 that is closer to the limit?
Not exactly. It means that no finite number, M, can be the limit because, for any [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] there exist x within [itex]|x- c|< \delta[/itex] such that f(x)> M.

You are wrong in a couple of ways halls of ivy

1. "no finite number is the limit." that is not correct. it is implied, but it is not the same

2. "there is some x in the delta ball." that would just mean the function is not bounded near there. You are allowing f to jump back down as often as it wants.

The definition needs to say that within these delta balls, all x values land above M. Choose M as large as you want, then there is such a delta ball. And all of us, even me, need to be careful about the order in which we say these things. What I said just now could easily be misinterpreted.

So, to put it better, Pick any M value, large as you want, I dare you. Then I promise you a delta ball. You can pick any x in that delta ball, and I guarantee that x will land above M. That's why in the picture they shaded it blue, they're trying to suggest all x vaules inside will work.

Related to Understanding Infinite Limits: Clarifying the Definition and Misconceptions

What is the definition of an infinite limit?

An infinite limit is a type of limit in calculus where the value of a function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input approaches a specific value.

How is an infinite limit expressed mathematically?

An infinite limit is expressed using the notation "lim f(x) = ±∞" to represent the function f(x) approaching positive or negative infinity.

Can the limit of a function be infinite at a finite point?

Yes, the limit of a function can be infinite at a finite point if the function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input approaches that point.

What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided infinite limit?

A one-sided infinite limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches from one direction (either positive or negative infinity). A two-sided infinite limit considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches from both directions.

How are infinite limits used in real-world applications?

Infinite limits are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science, to model and analyze various phenomena that involve infinite quantities, such as population growth, electric fields, and network traffic.