Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of normal subgroup

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My professor of topology gave us a quick overview of the group theory results we will be needing later and among the things he said, is that a normal subgroup of a group G is a subgroup H such that for all x in G, xHx^{-1}=H.

Is this correct? The wiki article seems to indicate that equality btw xHx^{-1} and H is unnecessary, but rather that inclusion is sufficient.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are easily shown to be equivalent.

4. Feb 7, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mmmh... So for all x in G, [itex]xHx^{-1}\subset H \Leftrightarrow xHx^{-1}= H[/itex].

For a fixed x, suppose there exists h' in H such that there are no h in H with h'=xhx^{-1}. This is nonsense since h=x^{-1}h'x does the trick.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  5. Feb 7, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

But then how do you know h is in H? And I don't see what this has to do with your original question.

6. Feb 7, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My original question was (essentially) Are the two definitions of normal subgroup "H is is normal subgroup of G if for all x in G, [itex]xHx^{-1}\subset H[/itex]" and "H is is normal subgroup of G if for all x in G, [itex]xHx^{-1}= H[/itex]" equivalent?

Then matt grime said "Yes". Then I tried to prove this assertion, so I said the following: "To show they are equivalent, I only need to show that for all x in G, [itex]xHx^{-1}\subset H \Rightarrow xHx^{-1}= H[/itex] since the converse is immediate."

So let's proceed by contradiction by supposing that for a certain fixed x in G, there exists an h' in H such that there are no h in H with h' = xhx^{-1}. This is automatically seen to be an absurdity since the element h of G defined by h=x^{-1}h'x is such that h' = xhx^{-1} and it is in H because by hypothesis, h' is in H and [itex]xHx^{-1}\subset H[/itex], i.e. [itex]h=x^{-1}h'x\in H[/itex].

I had to write it all in large to convince myself fully that it is correct, and still seems so to me. Do you still have an objection StatusX?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  7. Feb 7, 2007 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

That's clearer than your last post, but still a little hard to follow, with an unnecessary proof by contradiction. The proof is easy:

Assume for all x in G, xHx^-1 is a subset of H. Then for all h in H, we can define h'=x^-1hx, which is in H, and so h=xh'x^-1, ie, H is a subset of xHx^-1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?