Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of specific heat by via entropy

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    In his Statistical Physics book, Landau introduces the specific heat as the quantity of heat which must be gained in order to raise the temperature of a body one by unit.

I don't understand, how he directly jumps to the conclusion that that has to be (let's just say, for constant volume):
    [tex]
    C_V = T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V
    [/tex]

If I take a process during which I have no change in volume, I think I can write: [itex]\partial Q = T\mathrm{d}S[/itex], is that correct? My next thought was then that I could write [itex]C_V=\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V[/itex]. However, now I am stuck, because I do not understand why this should yield the above definition, without acting on the [itex]T[/itex] part of the the heat-entropy relation.

EDIT: I would like to add, that I have the same problem with the specific heat's definition via the energy differential [itex]\mathrm{d}E = T\mathrm{d}S - P\mathrm{d}V[/itex]:
    [tex]C_V = \left(\frac{\partial E}{\partial T}\right)_V[/tex]

Why does [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial T}[/itex] not act on [itex]T[/itex]?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted