Definitoon of trajectory in quantum physics, especially in path integrals

In summary, the use of the term "trajectory" in physics when discussing path integral formulation calculations can be altered to "future path" or "movement." This is due to the fact that the wavefunction and path integrals provide determinism of probability amplitudes, but it is still possible that not everything is deterministic. Some physicists believe that Bohmian particle trajectories may also be determined by the wavefunction, making everything deterministic.
roberto85
What is the correct way to use the term trajectory in physics when discussin path integral forumaltion calculations. Here is the sentence i am trying to complete and am unsure if i may use the term trajectory:

So the wavefunction offers a much more simplistic and perhaps more beautiful way to describe a system when compared to the kernel since all effects of the past history of a particle can be defined in terms of a the wavefunction. If we were to ignore everything we knew of it's history (or did not know this information) except for it's wavefunction at a particular time; we could calculate the future of the particle's TRAJECTORY??

Or should i just alter the sentence to say we would know its future path or movement or soemthing to that effect?

Help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Also I am very concenred about this statement which i obtained from richard feynman's book 'Quantum mechanics and path integrals' since this suggests the universe oberys determinism but i thought that this was not the general belief to quantum physicists. Please could someone clarify this since i don't want to include such a statement when it is clearly a very contentious thing to state. Many thanks again

Roberto

Ive decided the word evolution is more appropriate than trajectory, but id still like to know if it is correct to say that a gigantic wavefunction could suggest determinism?? please if anyyone could help me please?
Thanks

The wave function and path integrals provide determinism of probability amplitudes. However, since they determine probabilities, it is possible that not EVERYTHING is deterministic. Yet, there is a possibility that they also determine something else, like Bohmian particle trajectories. In this case everything is deterministic.

1. What is the definition of trajectory in quantum physics?

The trajectory in quantum physics refers to the path taken by a particle in a quantum system. It is described by the wave function, which gives the probability of finding the particle at a specific position and time.

2. How is trajectory defined in path integrals?

In path integrals, trajectory is defined as the sum of all possible paths that a particle can take to move from one point to another in a quantum system. It takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and provides a way to calculate the probability of a particle's position at a given time.

3. What is the significance of trajectory in quantum physics?

The trajectory in quantum physics is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a quantum system. It helps us to calculate the probability of a particle's position and predict its future movements.

4. How does the concept of trajectory differ from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics?

In classical mechanics, a particle's trajectory is well-defined and can be determined precisely. However, in quantum mechanics, the trajectory is probabilistic and described by the wave function. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

5. Can the trajectory of a particle be observed in quantum physics?

No, the trajectory of a particle cannot be observed in quantum physics. This is because the act of observation affects the particle's position and momentum, making it impossible to precisely determine its trajectory. The best we can do is calculate the probability of the particle's position at a given time.