Deflection of suspended coil (fluxmeter)

In summary, the conversation discusses a device called a fluxmeter that is used for measuring magnetic fields. It consists of two coils, a suspended coil instrument and a search coil, that form a continuous circuit. The instrumental constant for the fluxmeter is represented by k, and for small angles, the flux can be approximated as k times the angle plus a constant. The conversation then delves into equations and attempts to solve for the deflection of the fluxmeter, but the results are inconclusive and raise more questions about the device's functionality.
Order

Homework Statement

A fluxmeter is a device sometimes used for measuring magnetic fields. It is a suspended coil instrument in which the suspension has virtually no restoring twist. The instrument is used in series with a search coil which is removed from or rotated in the field to be measured. The fluxmeter coil and the search coil form a contiuous Circuit of total resistance ##R##. If the instrumental constant for the fluxmeter is ##k## (That is for small ##\theta## you can approximate the flux as ##\Phi = k \theta + \Phi_0##), determine the deflection ##\Delta \theta ## of the fluxmeter for a change of flux ##\Delta \Phi## through the search coil.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt}=-V[/tex]
[tex]I=V/R[/tex]
[tex]T=I\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the relation is between the search coil and fluxmeter coil, but i am first examinining the search coil. I use the relation ##\Phi = k \theta + \Phi_0## to give
[tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt}=k \frac{d \theta}{dt}=-V[/tex]
which leads to the current in the curcuit
[tex]I=V/R=-\frac{k d \theta / dt}{R}[/tex]
Now there is a torque on the coil given by
[tex]T=I\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \theta}=Ik=-\frac{k^2 d \theta / dt}{R}[/tex]
And from the laws of mechanics it is given by
[tex]T= I_m \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex]
Where ##I_m## is the moment of inertia for the Circuit. This leads to the differential equation
[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}+a\frac{d \theta}{dt}=0[/tex]
where ##a=\frac{k^2}{RI_m}##. The solution is
[tex]\frac{d \theta}{dt}=Ce^{-at}=\omega (t)[/tex]
But since ## \omega (0) = 0## then ##C=0## so ##\theta = constant## and there is no deflection at all in the search coil. So (if this is right) why should there be a deflection in the fluxmeter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since no one else is responding:

This description of a fluxmeter doesn't match anything I've looked at. There seem to be two coils, why I can't imagine.

Anyway, if the expression is flux = k(theta) + flux0 for small angles theta, then maybe it's proper to assume that for larger angles theta the expression is flux = k sin(theta) + flux0.

So then, solve for theta in the above expression.

rude man said:
Since no one else is responding:

Yes i guess it is hard even for trained physicists. Or maybe I screwed it up so much no one wants to help.

rude man said:
This description of a fluxmeter doesn't match anything I've looked at. There seem to be two coils, why I can't imagine.

No I don't understand it either. Thats why I ask for help

rude man said:
Anyway, if the expression is flux = k(theta) + flux0 for small angles theta, then maybe it's proper to assume that for larger angles theta the expression is flux = k sin(theta) + flux0.

So then, solve for theta in the above expression.

According to my calculations above this would lead to the very unlinear differential equation
[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}+\frac{k^2}{R I_m} \cos^2 \theta \frac{d \theta}{dt}=0[/tex]
This is obviously too difficult to solve (for a textbook problem).

But let's say there is a restoring torque per unit twist ##\alpha##. Then
[tex]T=I\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}=\cos^2 \theta \frac{d \theta}{dt} k^2/R=\alpha \Delta \theta[/tex]
and for ##\alpha=0##, as stated in the problem, I get an infinite ##\Delta \theta##, that is it never stops spinning.

So I never seem to get a finite value (either zero or infinite) for ##\Delta \theta##. That's a big problem. But if no one wants or can help me there is nothing I can do about it.

1. What is a suspended coil fluxmeter?

A suspended coil fluxmeter is a scientific instrument used to measure changes in magnetic flux. It consists of a coil suspended by a thin wire or fiber, which allows the coil to move in response to changes in magnetic field.

2. How does a suspended coil fluxmeter work?

The suspended coil fluxmeter works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When the coil is exposed to a changing magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the coil. This current produces a magnetic field that opposes the original change in magnetic field, causing the coil to move.

3. What factors affect the deflection of a suspended coil fluxmeter?

The deflection of a suspended coil fluxmeter is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the mass of the coil, and the tension of the suspension wire. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and nearby magnetic materials.

4. What are the applications of suspended coil fluxmeters?

Suspended coil fluxmeters are used in various fields such as geophysics, astronomy, and materials science. They are used to measure changes in Earth's magnetic field, map magnetic fields of planets and stars, and study the magnetic properties of materials.

5. How is the sensitivity of a suspended coil fluxmeter determined?

The sensitivity of a suspended coil fluxmeter is determined by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the coil. A higher sensitivity can be achieved by increasing the number of turns or using a more sensitive suspension wire. However, too much sensitivity can also lead to distortions in the measurements.