1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection of suspended coil (fluxmeter)

1. Jul 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fluxmeter is a device sometimes used for measuring magnetic fields. It is a suspended coil instrument in which the suspension has virtually no restoring twist. The instrument is used in series with a search coil which is removed from or rotated in the field to be measured. The fluxmeter coil and the search coil form a contiuous Circuit of total resistance ##R##. If the instrumental constant for the fluxmeter is ##k## (That is for small ##\theta## you can approximate the flux as ##\Phi = k \theta + \Phi_0##), determine the deflection ##\Delta \theta ## of the fluxmeter for a change of flux ##\Delta \Phi## through the search coil.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt}=-V[/tex]
    [tex]I=V/R[/tex]
    [tex]T=I\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know what the relation is between the search coil and fluxmeter coil, but i am first examinining the search coil. I use the relation ##\Phi = k \theta + \Phi_0## to give
    [tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt}=k \frac{d \theta}{dt}=-V[/tex]
    which leads to the current in the curcuit
    [tex]I=V/R=-\frac{k d \theta / dt}{R}[/tex]
    Now there is a torque on the coil given by
    [tex]T=I\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \theta}=Ik=-\frac{k^2 d \theta / dt}{R}[/tex]
    And from the laws of mechanics it is given by
    [tex]T= I_m \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex]
    Where ##I_m## is the moment of inertia for the Circuit. This leads to the differential equation
    [tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}+a\frac{d \theta}{dt}=0[/tex]
    where ##a=\frac{k^2}{RI_m}##. The solution is
    [tex]\frac{d \theta}{dt}=Ce^{-at}=\omega (t)[/tex]
    But since ## \omega (0) = 0## then ##C=0## so ##\theta = constant## and there is no deflection at all in the search coil. So (if this is right) why should there be a deflection in the fluxmeter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since no one else is responding:

This description of a fluxmeter doesn't match anything I've looked at. There seem to be two coils, why I can't imagine.

Anyway, if the expression is flux = k(theta) + flux0 for small angles theta, then maybe it's proper to assume that for larger angles theta the expression is flux = k sin(theta) + flux0.

So then, solve for theta in the above expression.

4. Jul 15, 2013 #3
    Yes i guess it is hard even for trained physicists. Or maybe I screwed it up so much noone wants to help.

No I don't understand it either. Thats why I ask for help

According to my calculations above this would lead to the very unlinear differential equation
    [tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}+\frac{k^2}{R I_m} \cos^2 \theta \frac{d \theta}{dt}=0[/tex]
    This is obviously too difficult to solve (for a textbook problem).

But lets say there is a restoring torque per unit twist ##\alpha##. Then
    [tex]T=I\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}=\cos^2 \theta \frac{d \theta}{dt} k^2/R=\alpha \Delta \theta[/tex]
    and for ##\alpha=0##, as stated in the problem, I get an infinite ##\Delta \theta##, that is it never stops spinning.

So I never seem to get a finite value (either zero or infinite) for ##\Delta \theta##. That's a big problem. But if noone wants or can help me there is nothing I can do about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted