Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection on I Beam

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    I have a project and need help. I have a tank total weight full will be 50,000 #
    The I Beam frame supporting it is 220 inches long X 86 inches wide.supporting the I Beam will be four supports 146 inches X 84 inches. Can anyone tell me what size I Beam I need? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

So let me get this straight. You want to support 50,000 lbm on an I-beam, have no idea how to calculate what you need, and are willing to trust strangers on the internet to do so?

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    If you have nothing to say SHUT UP

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4
    If you have nothing to say why did you reply?

6. Jan 20, 2010 #5

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you post a diagram showing the frame configuration, the supports, and the applied load(s)?

7. Jan 21, 2010 #6

minger

Science Advisor

Wow Cpt. Sass-a-lot. How about this, I'll shut up after you tell me the application so I can stay away.

8. Jan 21, 2010 #7

stewartcs

Science Advisor

First off, can the attitude.

Secondly, he had plenty to say. His point is that you obviously have no idea what you are doing so this is either a homework problem or a disaster waiting to happen.

If it is homework, then post it in the appropriate sub-forum.

If it is not homework, consult a licensed professional engineer before you hurt yourself or someone else.

CS

9. Jan 21, 2010 #8
    I came here for help on a project. I think an I Beam frame 220" X 86" cross braced and supported at four places will have no problem handling the 50,000# gross weight. If minger had read the post and made a legitimate comment I wouldn't have gotten an attitude but instead some knuckleheads are educated beyond their intelligence they try to make other people look dum to make themselves look good. Well didn't work minger

10. Jan 22, 2010 #9

minger

Science Advisor

I did read, here's my interpretation

Work asked me to do something I'm not 100% sure how to do.

I am trying to support the equivalent of 3 full-sized school buses

I am familiar with tape measures.

...but that's all.

Listen man, I have plenty of posts on here that would seem dumb to a seasoned engineer. I've been posting here for years and one of my first was a dumb question on superheated steam tables.

As stewart said, my first post wasn't meant to be mean, just perhaps eye-opening. This is why standards are developed. 50,000 lb is a LOT of mass, and if you aren't familiar with how to do the analysis then to put it bluntly, you could kill someone.

You mentioned nothing about how the load is applied, how your beams are connected, welds, bolths, supports, anything. This makes me believe that are either way too inexperienced, or way too unqualified. If you are willing to live with those risks then perhaps your best bet is to post in the homework section where someone could take a textbook, idea, no Kt, no side force, etc, etc approach to your problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook