1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degeneracy and commuting observables

1. Dec 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Theorem 5 of a text I've been reading that I downloaded from online (for interested parties, the link (a pdf) is http://bohr.physics.berkeley.edu/classes/221/0708/notes/hilbert.pdf) says that
    "If two observables A and B commute, [A, B] = 0, then any nondegenerate eigenket of A is also an eigenket of B. (It may be a degenerate eigenket of B.)"​

What I don't understand is how the eigenket could be degenerate in B. I am assuming, I hope correctly, that by "degenerate eigenket" the author means "an eigenket in a degenerate eigenspace". My line of thought is as follows:

Since [A,B]=0, A and B have the same eigenbasis and therefore the same eigenspaces. But then because the degeneracy of an eigenspace is defined to be its dimension, any degenerate eigenspace of A must also be a degenerate eigenspace of B, and vice-versa.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2
    Well, say A is nondegenerate, then B's matrix elements are all diagonal in A's representation

You can see it quite fast, by sandwiching the commutator between two basekets.

Well considering A as nondegenerate might not help, because it switches A and B in the problem...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  4. Dec 30, 2009 #3
    You can see what quite fast?

5. Dec 30, 2009 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi foxjwill,

I'm not totally sure I understand the question and the setup. As you say, the wording is a bit poor, but let me give it a shot.

I believe what you're looking for can be illustrated with the simple example of a particle moving on a line. Let A = p (momentum) and B = p^2 so that [A,B] = 0. Eigenvalues of A are all non-degenerate, but eigenvalues of B are all two fold degenerate except for p = 0.

Thus any eigenstate of A belonging to a non-degenerate eigenvalue (in this case, all of them) is an eigenstate of B. However, an eigenstate of B like |p>+|-p> (which is degenerate with |p> - |-p>, for example) is NOT an eigenstate of A, hence the non-degeneracy condition is important.

Hope this helps.

6. Dec 30, 2009 #5
    That definitely helps. What I think is holding my back is that I had taken "simultaneous eigenbases" to mean "the same eigenbasis". Which brings me to the next question: What does "simultaneous eigenbases" mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook