Degrees of Luge Trucks - What You Need to Know

• Thread starter Buzzed Trucks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the speaker is seeking help in determining the optimal degree for truck 1 on a luge board to achieve the best turn. Factors to consider include speed, weight distribution, and surface type. The speaker also suggests conducting experiments to gather data for analysis.
Buzzed Trucks
First off, I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong thread.

Now in order for you guys to understand the basics of a luge board, I'll give you a short rundown.

Here is a skateboard (or luge) truck. It consist of the hanger and baseplate. The hanger is what the wheels are attached to and it rotate on a pivot axis. The pivot axis is determined by the baseplate, the piece that is attached to the board. When you lean on the sides of the board, the bushings (red pieces) compress and allow the hanger to turn. In this picture, the baseplate is 47 degrees.
TruckPic.jpg

Now a luge board typically consists of 3 trucks, 2 in the front and one in the rear. The rear truck usually consists of a 35 degree baseplate (can vary due to rider preference) and the two front trucks usually consist of 55 degree baseplates (also can vary due to rider preference). I will distinguish the 3 different trucks with numbers. Truck 1 will be the very front truck, truck 2 will be the 2nd truck, and truck 3 will be the rear truck. The distance between truck 1 and 2 is, let's say, 9cm. The distance between truck 2 and truck 3 is 106cm. Here is a picture of a typical luge board.
100_0636.JPG

Now if you think about it, since all 3 trucks are turning, there is a slight problem by having the 2 front trucks the same degree. I guess you can say it doesn't allow for a "perfect" turn. I want to figure out what degree to make truck 1 to allow for that "perfect" turn. I am guessing it will be a degree slightly larger than 55 degrees. Let me know if there are any variables that you would like to know. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. Let me know if I left anything out or if you have any questions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for providing such a detailed explanation of the luge board and the specific issue you are trying to solve. I can understand the importance of finding the optimal degree for truck 1 to allow for the best turn on the luge board.

One important factor to consider is the speed at which the luge board will be traveling. The speed will impact the forces acting on the board and the trucks, and therefore, the degree of truck 1 may need to be adjusted accordingly. Additionally, the weight of the rider and the distribution of weight on the board can also affect the turning ability.

Another variable to consider is the type of surface the luge board will be used on. Different surfaces may require different degrees for truck 1 to achieve the desired turn.

It may also be helpful to conduct experiments to test different degrees for truck 1 and gather data on the turning abilities at different speeds and on different surfaces. This data can then be analyzed to determine the optimal degree for truck 1.

I hope this information helps and I wish you luck in finding the perfect turn for your luge board. Let me know if you have any further questions or if I can assist in any other way.

FAQ: Degrees of Luge Trucks - What You Need to Know

What are degrees of luge trucks?

Degrees of luge trucks refer to the angle at which the trucks (the metal parts that hold the wheels) are positioned on a luge board. This angle affects the stability and turning ability of the board, and can be adjusted to suit the rider's preferences.

Why do degrees of luge trucks matter?

Degrees of luge trucks matter because they directly affect the performance of the board and the rider's overall experience. A higher degree angle will provide more stability and control at high speeds, while a lower degree angle will allow for tighter turns and more maneuverability.

How do I choose the right degree of luge trucks?

Choosing the right degree of luge trucks depends on your riding style and preferences. Generally, beginners may prefer a lower degree angle for easier turning, while more experienced riders may prefer a higher degree angle for more stability at high speeds. It's important to experiment and find what works best for you.

Can I adjust the degree of my luge trucks?

Yes, the degree of luge trucks can be adjusted by loosening the kingpin bolt and rotating the truck to the desired angle. However, it's important to make small adjustments and test the board before making any major changes to ensure stability and safety.

Are there any risks associated with changing the degree of luge trucks?

There can be risks associated with changing the degree of luge trucks, as it can affect the stability and control of the board. It's important to make small adjustments and test the board before making any major changes to ensure safety and avoid accidents.