Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delay of execution for Morales

1. Feb 21, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone else been following this story?

http://www.indybay.org/news/2006/02/1803833.php

More about it here:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20060221-9999-7n21morales.html

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2006 #2
    The Anesthesiologists walked? I wonder if there have ever been any other walk outs like that before.

4. Feb 21, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fron what I understand, there has never been a request for the presence of anesthesiologists before. I heard just a snippet on the news on the radio while I was coming home and it seems that the execution has been delayed again... and I thought they said "indefinitely". Has anyone else heard about this?

5. Feb 21, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You would think that they would have screened the doctors as to who actually would go through with this before actually having the execution.

6. Feb 21, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what I understand there is a problem with the Hippocratic oath that ultimately caused the bail out. Since I am not familiar with it, I went Googling.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  7. Feb 21, 2006 #6
  8. Feb 21, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're considering trying thiopental alone? I've never even considered that as a euthanasia drug, and it sounds way less than ideal. (I have some limited experience using it as an anesthetic agent, and the variability in responses to it really make it low on my list of anesthetics, unless I'm looking for something that just knocks an animal out for less than 5 minutes).

I hope they opt for the barbiturates. That's what's used to euthanize animals - it's very quick and induces nearly instantaneous unconsciousness leading rapidly to anesthesia, then respiration and heart function cease.

Okay, yeesh, I'm looking up the components of the 3-part cocktail...it's pentothal (anesthetic), potassium chloride (stops the heart), and pancuronium bromide (a neuromuscular blocking agent - induces paralysis). :bugeye: I would have to agree with the arguments by the defendent about that cocktail. I'd be really reluctant to use something that induces paralysis so that you can't observe if the anesthesia is taking effect if you didn't have a trained anesthesiologist present to ensure everything was properly administered. The AVMA lists it as an unallowable form of euthanasia for animals for this very reason, respiratory arrest can occur before anethesia, leading to pain and distress.

9. Feb 21, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From that article:
    Huh?! What?! 30 to 45 minutes?! Are they nuts? A massive dose of sodium pentobarbital (the pentothal mentioned above is the same as thiopental...different from pentobarbital, despite sounding very similar; both are barbiturates though) should induce death in less than a minute! I'd hand myself over to PETA if I was using dosages of drugs for euthanasia that took 30 to 45 minutes to work! That's just entirely inhumane. Geez, isn't death by hanging faster than that? I've always teetered back and forth on the issue of the death penalty, but that's when I thought they just gave a quick injection and anesthesia and death were rapidly induced. To hear these sort of details of it, that's absolutely unacceptable to me. No matter what he's done wrong in his life, he's still human; don't treat him worse than you'd treat an animal!

10. Feb 21, 2006 #9

SOS2008

Gold Member

I haven't been following the story, but it sounds like Morales has good legal counsel by presenting the argument of cruelty. So the state revised the process to include an anesthesiologist--new to California at least. Then the irony is the anesthesiologist walked on the basis that the process was...still cruel. But I'm not sure how that would result in a permanent stay of execution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?