Deleting Threads: Script Wipes Posts Without Explicit Template

• Thread starter gelfand
  • Start date
In summary, the post was well written and met the requirements of the template, but it was deleted because the author did not include the literal words of the template.
gelfand
I made a pretty fair amount of effort on a post and it's just been wiped because I didn't EXPLICITLY include the template.

I'll note that I interpret using a template and including the literal words of it differently. Everything required by the template was satisfied by the post, it just happened that I hadn't included the words that it wanted.

Can you please state in an obvious manner that there's a script running that will just wipe posts that don't contain the words (even if the post is well written) because it's wasted my time and it's kinda annoying

Physics news on Phys.org
Moved to feedback...mods are discussing.

russ_watters said:
Moved to feedback...mods are discussing.
Ha, I can't seem to post in the right section first time >.<

cheers

We will reopen your thread and I'll add the section headers for you. Next time please keep them. It's handy for helpers who read through many problems a day.

Last edited:
Likes gelfand, dlgoff and berkeman
gelfand said:
I made a pretty fair amount of effort on a post and it's just been wiped because I didn't EXPLICITLY include the template.
Personally, I would acknowledge the fact you did make efforts. However, in general, (personal opinion!) I consider this as disrespectful for it removes the help for readers to quickly access (and eventually re-read) question, given basis and solving strategy. Me, e.g. often use this as a quick reference on whether I'm able to contribute to a problem or not. Removing the template literally forces me to read an entire post, whether it benefits me or the questioner or it doesn't. Ergo, I don't read it at all and do something more meaningful instead.

Likes gelfand
fresh_42 said:
Personally, I would acknowledge the fact you did make efforts. However, in general, (personal opinion!) I consider this as disrespectful for it removes the help for readers to quickly access (and eventually re-read) question, given basis and solving strategy. Me, e.g. often use this as a quick reference on whether I'm able to contribute to a problem or not. Removing the template literally forces me to read an entire post, whether it benefits me or the questioner or it doesn't. Ergo, I don't read it at all and do something more meaningful instead.
Yeah that makes sense - I'm just saying that literally all that was missing was the headings , everything was outlined. So imo I *did* use the template, but wasn't aware that I had to have the headings in the file.

And in a message thread with a mod they were pretty vague about whether there was anything actually wrong with the thread other than this, which made it harder to be sure about whether the only thing was that they were missing, or whether there was actually some kind of issue with the actual post.

I can just include them in future, it's no issue.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
We will reopen your thread and I'll add the section headers for you. Next time please keep them. It's handy for helpers who read through many problems a day.
No worries - i was trying to find out if there was something *other* than this wrong with the post, it seems that this is literally the only thing that was missing. So that's pretty easy for me to include in future.

So to disrespect the headings :P

What is "Deleting Threads: Script Wipes Posts Without Explicit Template"?

"Deleting Threads: Script Wipes Posts Without Explicit Template" is a computer program that automatically removes posts from online forums or discussion boards without a specific template or format.

Why would someone want to use this script?

This script is often used by forum moderators or administrators to quickly remove irrelevant or inappropriate posts from their online communities, saving them time and effort in manually deleting each post.

How does this script work?

The script uses a set of parameters to identify posts that do not meet a specific template or format. Once a post is identified, the script automatically deletes it from the forum or discussion board.

Is this script ethical to use?

The ethics of using this script can be debated. On one hand, it can be seen as a way to maintain order and relevance in online communities. On the other hand, some may argue that it limits free speech and can be used to silence certain voices or opinions.

Are there any potential issues or concerns with using this script?

One potential issue is that the script may mistakenly delete posts that do not meet the specific template or format, leading to the removal of relevant or important content. Additionally, it can also be used maliciously to target specific users or censor certain topics. It is important to use this script carefully and with consideration for the community it is being used in.