Dell Computers: Fantastic support

In summary, Dell's technical support is excellent. They go out of their way to help you, and are very responsive.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been a Dell fan for about ten years now, but their technical support never ceases to surprise me. I do buy the premium care package, but considering the heavy use my computers get, often in industrial environments, I come out way ahead.

What surprises me is how Dell goes out of its way to be sure that I don't have any problems. They actually ask questions and seek out opportunities to provide additional assistance. And best of all, they will either expedite the required part, if one is needed, or they send a tech out to replace the part for me. What more can I ask?

This time, in addition to the intermittent failure of my CD/DVD that motivated the chat, which got me a new DVD player, we ended up replacing the screen and the keypad - both minor issues that I didn't even intend to hold them liable for. I cracked the screen myself, but they reviewed my warranty and determined that I was covered.

I deal with tech support from at least dozens of companies, no doubt hundreds over the years [maybe more] as a function of my job, and we have purchased the cushy warranties from other companies from time to time, but Dell provides the best support that I have seen anywhere.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Really? I've been unimpressed, both with Dell computers and their tech support. I can't wait to replace the PC (Piece of Crap) I have now from Dell. Maybe that's the trick, you have to pay an arm and a leg for customer support. If you just go with the basic support you get with new purchases, you get very little. I don't care for the idea of having to pay extra just to get customer service...that should automatically come with a purchase.

I think it all comes down to how you talk to them.

I remember getting a huge phone bill (nearly $1000) and I talked myself out of it completely. And asked if they get rid of the following months bill too since that one was high as well. They did both no problems.

Note: This is Rogers Wireless.

JasonRox said:
I think it all comes down to how you talk to them.

I remember getting a huge phone bill (nearly $1000) and I talked myself out of it completely. And asked if they get rid of the following months bill too since that one was high as well. They did both no problems.

Jeez man, lay off the phone sex hotline.

Moonbear, being that I probably place as much demand on a computer as anyone, and considering that virtually anyone in my field has a Dell, I would say your case is unique. Of course, I don't know what quality computer you purchased. But I can tell you, sitting in an office at a university is not a stressful environment for a computer. You wouldn't believe the places my computer has been.

Cyrus said:
Jeez man, lay off the phone sex hotline.

Was it 1-800... or 1-900...?

My roommate has a Dell laptop and has had some issues with his graphics card and each time Dell has sent a guy over to our apartment to replace whatever parts needed to be switched out, plus more. This has happened about 3 times now.

Sure that's great service... you know what's even better? I've had my sony laptop just as long as he's had his dell, and I've never even had to call sony tech support because nothing's gone wrong...

In Maine, Dell's service involves calling script-monkeys in India ("you must first de-gauss your monitor" for an LCD display that was horrible!) and calling over and over again. Dell sucks.

turbo-1 said:
In Maine, Dell's service involves calling script-monkeys in India ("you must first de-gauss your monitor" for an LCD display that was horrible!) and calling over and over again. Dell sucks.

Every time I called they were exceptionally helpful. My laptop hard drive failed. I called them to reinstall the OS on my computer. I paid them 60 bucks-ish. I was installing the drivers. When I had a problem I connected it online and he did it remote from India for me. Saved us both a lot of hassle and phone calls.

Buy the on site support, especially for laptops
You call their service centre, ignore them while they go through their script suggest you reinstall windows then give them the service tag.
Remember that the guy that comes out is a contractor and doesn't work for Dell - it's not his fault and he doesn't like them any more than you.
Be nice to him because he is going to be back tomorrow because Dell will have sent him the wrong part.
My record is 12 visits for a laptop with a faulty touch pad (at $400/visit) including wrong parts and the tech breaking the case while fitting the part.
But they keep coming back until you are happy

mgb_phys said:
You call their service centre, ignore them while they go through their script suggest you reinstall windows then give them the service tag.
Remember that the guy that comes out is a contractor and doesn't work for Dell - it's not his fault and he doesn't like them any more than you.
Be nice to him because he is going to be back tomorrow because Dell will have sent him the wrong part.
My record is 12 visits for a laptop with a faulty touch pad (at $400/visit) including wrong parts and the tech breaking the case while fitting the part.

Yeah haha! My roommate has a new keyboard, new battery, new graphics card, new motherboard, new lcd... none of which except for the graphics card was necessary. The guys who come out to replace the parts are usually really friendly and I've always had good conversations with them.

The best part is that it first went wrong around 8 months after buying the laptop, but then something went wrong again around 6 months later, so originally this would have been out of warranty, but because it wasn't yet 12 months from the first visit, he was still covered.

From my clients, it sounds like Dell computers have lots of problems, which seems to be what everyone here is saying.

I prefer a computer that "doesn't" fall apart, and doesn't have to send anyone out. :-p

There are total crap machines you wouldn't touch,
There are super rugged 5x the price military/industrial models
Then there is every brand you have ever heard of, Dell, Lenova, HP, Apple - They are pretty much all built to the same standards in the same factories from the same parts.

Toshiba's are built like tanks. You can use a top of the line Toshiba laptop to drive nails into concrete.

As are Panasonic Toughbooks. But you pay for it in high cost/poor performance.
We used to use Itronix rugged laptops but you need to have a defense dept type budget to get any service from.

mgb_phys said:
As are Panasonic Toughbooks. But you pay for it in high cost/poor performance.
We used to use Itronix rugged laptops but you need to have a defense dept type budget to get any service from.
My Toshiba Portege performed wonderfully.

I have a Dell, and I beat it to crap. Ask anyone who knows me.

JasonRox said:
I have a Dell, and I beat it to crap. Ask anyone who knows me.

No one knows anyone who knows you to ask.

mgb_phys said:

Why didn't you change the touch pad yourself? When I broke the key on my keyboard while running my hand across it with a paper towel to clean it (my own fault) i bought a new one and put it in there myself. It took a whole 10 mins. Computer repairs are stupidly easy. Everything is modular. You unscrew something. Take it out of the slot. Put the new part in the same slot, and screw everything back in.

Cyrus said:
No one knows anyone who knows you to ask.

The good part about the internet. :smile:

My e-stats...

- Sexy
- Genius
- Rich
- Built
...etc...

Cyrus said:
Why didn't you change the touch pad yourself? When I broke the key on my keyboard while running my hand across it with a paper towel to clean it (my own fault) i bought a new one and put it in there myself. It took a whole 10 mins.
Where do you buy a Dell touchpad?

I only get the warranty on laptops. Dell have stopped using custom parts like PSU plugs on most desktops so you can fix these yourself.

JasonRox said:
The good part about the internet. :smile:

My e-stats...

- Sexy
- Genius
- Rich
- Built
...etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqNmYwxK2Z4

mgb_phys said:
Where do you buy a Dell touchpad?

I only get the warranty on laptops. Dell have stopped using custom parts like PSU plugs on most desktops so you can fix these yourself.

You buy it from dell. Same place I bought my dell keypad. The tech support said they could send me the part for $20.00, so I said ok.

Could they not do the same for your part?

My Emachines 6811 has been bullet proof for 4 years now. Everything works, no repairs and thousands of hours of runtime in some pretty harsh construction type environments. I did have to replace the itty bitty battery inside for the cmos? That was an adventure to find, wow things are tight in a laptop. And I only had 2 screws left over when i put it back together. The lion or nmhd battery ( can't remember which kind it is right now) still runs it full boogie for 2.5 hours before warning me to plug it in. I still think it is faster than most new lappys built now. It is beaten, dented, scratched and has booted at minus 20 degrees celcius many times. I picked a winner with this one. I want one with blueray now tho...

Related to Dell Computers: Fantastic support

1. What makes Dell's customer support stand out?

Dell is known for its exceptional customer support, which is consistently ranked among the best in the industry. Their support team is available 24/7 and is highly trained to assist with any technical issues or inquiries. Dell also offers a variety of support options, including phone, chat, and email, making it convenient for customers to get the help they need.

2. How long does it typically take for Dell's support team to resolve issues?

Dell's support team is committed to resolving customer issues as quickly and efficiently as possible. The average resolution time varies depending on the complexity of the issue, but Dell strives to resolve issues within 24 hours. In urgent cases, they offer expedited support options to ensure a timely resolution.

3. Are Dell's support services free?

Yes, Dell's support services are completely free for customers who have purchased a Dell product. This includes technical support, troubleshooting, and warranty services. Dell also offers extended support plans for an additional cost for customers who want even more comprehensive coverage.

4. Can Dell's support team assist with non-Dell products?

Dell's support team is primarily trained to assist with Dell products. However, they may be able to provide some general technical support for non-Dell products. If the issue is beyond their expertise, they can offer recommendations for other support options.

5. Is Dell's customer support available worldwide?

Yes, Dell's customer support is available globally, with multiple support centers located around the world. They also offer multilingual support for customers who prefer to communicate in a language other than English. However, response times and availability may vary depending on the customer's location.