Delta epsilon proof of continuity complex analysis

In summary: I think I need someone who has done this before to help me out.In summary, the function F is continuous at every z0 if given an epsilon > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that for all z_0 in C, |z-z_0|< delta implies that's |F(z) - F(z_0)|< epsilon.
xokaitt

Homework Statement

show that the function
F:C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]C
z [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] z+|z|

is continuous for every z0[tex]\in[/tex] C2. Proof
F is continuous at every z0[tex]\in[/tex] C if given an \epsilon > 0 , there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex] > 0 such that [tex]\forall[/tex] z 0 [tex]\in[/tex] C, |z-z 0|< [tex]\delta[/tex] implies |F(z)-F(z0)|< [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

I know basically how to do this, if someone could just help me with the theoretical steps. First we suppose we are given an epsilon that works? then we have to relate epsilon and delta to find a delta (in terms of epsilon) that works...? then once we have the epsilon and delta we plug back into verify?
or do i have the concept backwards?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that you are given some specific epsilon by someone else that "works", its basically saying that for ANY given epsilon > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that for all z_0 in C, |z-z_0|< delta implies that's |F(z) - F(z_0)|< epsilon.

Since its ANY epsilon > 0, they inequality should still hold if I made epsilon as close to zero as I wanted. So the concept is that : If F is continuous, then there must be SOME value of delta I can pick, ie get z_0 close enough to z, so that epsilon is as small as I wanted, ie F(z_0) and F(z) are as close as I want them to be.

maybe i should have been more specific ... I understand the geometrical concept of an epsilon neighborhood. What i do not understand however, is how to go about the proof. Formally speaking, what is the correct way to construct a delta-epsilon proof and how do I begin?

i have been manipulating the properties of the modulus for a little while now and have a long string of complicated inequalities ... but I'm just confusing myself.

Related to Delta epsilon proof of continuity complex analysis

1. What is a delta-epsilon proof of continuity in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a delta-epsilon proof of continuity is a method used to rigorously prove that a function is continuous at a particular point. This proof involves setting limits for both the input (delta) and output (epsilon) values around the point in question, and then showing that for any given epsilon, there exists a delta such that the function's output will always fall within that epsilon range for any input within the delta range.

2. Why is it important to prove continuity in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, continuity is a fundamental property that allows us to make connections between different parts of a function and to analyze its behavior. By proving continuity, we can make accurate predictions about the function's behavior and use it to solve various problems in mathematics and other scientific fields.

3. What are the key steps in a delta-epsilon proof of continuity?

The key steps in a delta-epsilon proof of continuity include defining the function and the point in question, setting limits for delta and epsilon values, and then using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to show that the function's output will always fall within the epsilon range for any input within the delta range.

4. Can a function be continuous without a delta-epsilon proof?

It is possible for a function to be continuous without a delta-epsilon proof, but it is not considered a rigorous proof. A delta-epsilon proof provides a more precise and rigorous way of proving continuity, and is often required in more complex mathematical proofs and analyses.

5. Are there alternative methods for proving continuity in complex analysis?

Yes, there are other methods for proving continuity in complex analysis, such as using the definition of continuity, the intermediate value theorem, or the sequential criterion for continuity. However, the delta-epsilon proof is widely used and considered to be the most rigorous method for proving continuity in complex analysis.