Does the delta function integral still hold true for non-continuous functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the integral of a function multiplied by the Dirac delta function. It is stated that, in general, the integral equals f(x0), but there may be certain conditions on the function that make this not suitable. The conversation also mentions the possibility of defining the integral for well-behaved generalized functions. The conversation concludes by discussing the importance of continuity in a neighborhood of x0.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Evaluate:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} f(x)\delta(x-x_0)dx[/tex]

Where

[tex]f(x)=ln(x+3), x_0=-2[/tex]

Ordinarily, you would just evaluate [tex]f(x_0)[/tex], so it would be 0, but in this case, since [tex]f(x)[/tex] is [tex]-\infty[/tex] at [tex]x=-3[/tex], does that make a difference?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But you have x0=-2 and f(x) is certainly not negative infinity there. What is f(-2)?

Right, f(-2) = ln(1) = 0

I'm just wondering if for the formula:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta (x-x_0) = f(x_0) [/tex]

there need to be certain conditions on f(x), that would make a logarithmic function not suitable? My textbook was very vague in this area.

Last edited:
You're missing the + and the - on your limits...

There are ways to define integration of generalized functions so that this integral makes sense for any (partial) function f that is well-behaved near x0. It might even be possible to make this integral well-defined when f is a generalized function that is well-behaved near x0!

nicksauce said:
Right, f(-2) = ln(1) = 0

I'm just wondering if for the formula:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta (x-x_0) = f(x_0) [/tex]

there need to be certain conditions on f(x), that would make a logarithmic function not suitable? My textbook was very vague in this area.
No. For any function defined at x0,
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\delta (x)dx= f(x_0)[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
No. For any function defined at x0,
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\delta (x)dx= f(x_0)[/tex]
I think I won't feel comfortable unless you insist on continuity in a neighborhood of x0.

1. What is the delta function integral?

The delta function integral, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical tool used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to model point-like objects or events. It is a generalized function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, but with an integral of one over its domain.

2. How is the delta function integral defined?

The delta function integral is defined as a limit of a sequence of functions that are both well-behaved and have area one, with the sequence becoming increasingly concentrated at the origin. It is commonly represented by the symbol δ(x) or δa(x), with the latter indicating that the function is centered at the point a.

3. What is the significance of the delta function integral?

The delta function integral is significant because it allows us to model point-like objects or events in a mathematical framework. It is also used to solve differential equations, evaluate definite integrals, and describe physical phenomena in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and other fields.

4. How is the delta function integral used in physics?

In physics, the delta function integral is used to represent point charges, magnetic dipoles, and other point-like objects or events in mathematical models. It is also used to calculate the probability of a particle being located at a specific point in quantum mechanics, and to describe impulse or sudden changes in physical systems.

5. What are some properties of the delta function integral?

Some properties of the delta function integral include its symmetry, such that δ(x) = δ(-x), and its scaling property, where δ(ax) = |a|-1δ(x). It also has the sifting property, which allows it to pick out a specific value from a function, and can be used in convolution integrals to simplify calculations.