Delta function of a function with multiple zeros

I am not familiar with the concept of delta functions, but from the conversation it seems that they are used in integration to represent a function that has multiple zeros. In summary, the conversation discusses how to deal with delta functions of functions that have double zeros and how to compute integrals involving them. The link provided may be helpful for understanding this concept further.
maverick280857
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how to deal with delta functions of functions that have double zeros.

For instance, how does one compute an integral of the form

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx g(x)\delta(x^2)[/tex]

where g(x) is a well behaved continuous everywhere function?

In general how does one find

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx g(x)\delta(f(x))[/tex]

where f(x) has a finite number of multiple zeros along with some simple zeros. I know that

[tex]\delta(f(x)) = \sum_{i=1}^{N}\frac{\delta(x-x_{i})}{|f'(x_{i})|}[/tex]

where [itex]x_{i}[/itex]'s (for i = 1 to N) are simple zeros of [itex]f(x)[/itex] and it is known that [itex]f(x)[/itex] has no zeros of multiplicitiy > 1.

but this is of course not valid here. Using this, however I could write

[tex]\delta(x^2-a^2) = \frac{1}{2|a|}\left(\delta(x-a) + \delta(x+a)\right)[/tex]

But the limit of this as [itex]a \rightarrow 0[/itex] tends to infinity.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this link helps you:

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Physics/8-07Fall-2005/40686CBE-369E-4373-95AD-BAEA1F2B8A37/0/deltafun.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you haushofer.

Related to Delta function of a function with multiple zeros

1. What is the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros?

The delta function of a function with multiple zeros is a mathematical concept that represents the concentration of a function's zeros at a single point. It is also known as a Dirac delta function and is commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. How is the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros different from a standard Delta function?

A standard Delta function, also known as a Dirac delta function, has a single point of concentration whereas the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros has multiple points of concentration. This means that the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros is a more generalized form of the standard Delta function.

3. What are some applications of the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros?

The Delta function of a function with multiple zeros has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to model point-like objects, such as particles in physics, and to represent the impulse response of a system in engineering.

4. How is the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros defined mathematically?

The Delta function of a function with multiple zeros is defined as a limit of a sequence of functions that have increasingly concentrated zeros at a single point. In mathematical notation, it is represented as a limit of Dirac delta functions multiplied by a scaling factor.

5. Can the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros be negative?

No, the Delta function of a function with multiple zeros is always non-negative. This is because it represents the concentration of a function's zeros, which can only be located at a single point. Therefore, the value of the Delta function at this point is always positive or zero.