Delta function of two variable function

In summary: This allows us to express the delta function in terms of the derivatives of the argument of the delta function.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Dirac delta function in one and two variables and how it can be written in terms of the derivatives of the argument. The formula for a function of two variables involves a sum over the zeroes of the function, but the exact form is still debated. The motivation for defining the formula is to express the delta function in terms of the derivatives of the argument.
mimmim
Hi
Iknow that if we have delta function of one variables function, then we can write it as:

[itex]\delta (f(x)) = \sum \frac{\delta(x-x0)}{f'(x0)} [/itex]

but how we can write a function of two variables:

[itex]\delta (f(x,y))[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by delta function? Are you referring to dirac delta function or something else?

Frogeyedpeas said:
What exactly do you mean by delta function? Are you referring to dirac delta function or something else?

Dirac delta function

mimmim said:
Hi
Iknow that if we have delta function of one variables function, then we can write it as:
[itex]\delta (f(x)) = \sum \frac{\delta(x-x0)}{f'(x0)} [/itex]

I am not aware of such an identity. What is the sum over?

The dirac delta function for a single variable is simply ##\delta [f(x)] = f(0) ##. In two variables it would be ##\delta [f(x,y)] = f(0,0)##. Of course you can shift the delta function to any point off the origin as well.

theorem4.5.9 said:
I am not aware of such an identity. What is the sum over?
This is a well-known and easily provable identity. The sum is over the zeroes x0 of f.
theorem4.5.9 said:
The dirac delta function for a single variable is simply ##\delta [f(x)] = f(0) ##. In two variables it would be ##\delta [f(x,y)] = f(0,0)##. Of course you can shift the delta function to any point off the origin as well.
I think there's some confusion here. A distribution can indeed be represented as a linear functional which takes (test) functions as inputs. But here, when we say ##\delta (f(x)) ##, we don't mean the functional ##\delta ## evaluated at the function f. Rather, informally we are thinking of the Dirac delta as a function of numbers, and we are forming the composition of the Dirac delta function and the function f. So we mean the "function" ##\delta (u)## evaluated at the number u=f(x).

lugita15 said:
Rather, informally we are thinking of the Dirac delta as a function of numbers, and we are forming the composition of the Dirac delta function and the function f. So we mean the "function" ##\delta (u)## evaluated at the number u=f(x).

One way to go about this is by the observation that every real number has an associated constant function [itex]g_c (t) = c[/itex]. Trivally every constant function is a distribution. Then [itex]\delta(f(x)) = \delta \circ f \circ g_x[/itex] and if the resulting expression is also a constant function you can use the duality backwards to "claim" [itex]\delta(f(x)) \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

I remember hearing about this in a lecture some time in my undergraduate years, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the literature.

lugita15 said:
This is a well-known and easily provable identity. The sum is over the zeroes x0 of f.

Would you mind elaborating on this? I've worked out the case where ##f## is injective below, but I don't see how one would define composition where ##f## vanishes at more than one point.

If ##d, g, f## are test functions and ##f## is injective and ##f(x_0)=0## then
$$\langle d\circ f, g \rangle = \int d\circ f(x)\cdot g(x) dx $$. A u-substitution yields
$$ = \int\frac{d(u)\cdot g\circ f^{-1}(u)}{f'(f^{-1}(u))}du = \left\langle d(u), \frac{ g\circ f^{-1}(u)}{f'(f^{-1}(u))} \right\rangle$$

Thus this should be taken as the definition for composition of a general distribution with such an ##f##. Inserting the dirac delta then, I see that
$$\langle \delta\circ f,g\rangle = \frac{ g\circ f^{-1}(0)}{f'(f^{-1}(0))} = \frac{ g(x_0)}{f'(x_0)} = \left\langle\frac{\delta_{x_0}}{f'(x_0)} ,g\right\rangle $$
which recovers the formula (excusing my sloppy u-substitution).

To reiterate my question, if ##f## vanishes at several points, what motivation is there to define the OP's formula?

theorem4.5.9 said:
To reiterate my question, if ##f## vanishes at several points, what motivation is there to define the OP's formula?
One approach you might try is to calculate in a similar fashion ##\delta (f(x)g(x))##, where f(x) has a single zero at x1 and g(x) has a single zero at x2.

theorem4.5.9 said:

The delta function is non-zero only when it's input is zero. The OP's formula picks out the points where the argument of the delta function is non-zero and expands the expression into delta functions centred at these points.

Related to Delta function of two variable function

What is the Delta function of two variable function?

The Delta function of a two variable function, also known as the two-dimensional Dirac delta function, is a mathematical concept used in the study of multivariable calculus and differential equations. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. In other words, it is a point mass located at the origin.

How is the Delta function of two variable function used in mathematics?

The Delta function of two variable function is used to represent the distribution of mass or charge in a two-dimensional space. It is often used as a tool to simplify calculations in physics and engineering problems, such as finding the electric potential due to a point charge or the gravitational potential due to a point mass.

What is the relationship between the Delta function of two variable function and the Kronecker delta?

The Delta function of two variable function is the two-dimensional analog of the Kronecker delta, which is a function that takes the value of 1 when its two arguments are equal and 0 otherwise. In other words, the Delta function of two variable function is the limit of the Kronecker delta as the two variables approach the same value.

How is the Delta function of two variable function defined mathematically?

The Delta function of two variable function is defined as δ(x,y) = 0 for (x,y) ≠ (0,0) and δ(x,y) = ∞ for (x,y) = (0,0). It satisfies the properties of a Dirac delta function, including the sifting property and the integral property, and can be represented as a limit of a sequence of functions.

What are some applications of the Delta function of two variable function?

The Delta function of two variable function has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include solving partial differential equations, finding the impulse response of a system, and calculating the electric and gravitational potentials in two-dimensional space. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and probability theory.