Delta-Y Connected Load Transformation

In summary, the delta-connected load is equivalent to 7.846 - 2.77j when given ZΔ=6+8j Ω and ZY=4+3j Ω, and EL=200V. The equivalent delta-connected load is found by converting Y to Δ and using the product/sum rule to obtain the combined delta. The existing impedance of the delta portion should be 6 - j8, not 6 + j8.
Jinium

Homework Statement

yd69Ylv.png

Based on Fig. 4,
ZΔ=6+8j Ω
ZY=4+3j Ω
EL=200V

Show that the equivalent delta-connected load is 7.846 - 2.77j

Homework Equations

ZY=(1/3)ZΔ

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my thought process:
For part (i), attempt to convert Y to Δ,
So using the relevant equation above
ZΔ of transformed ZY is 12 + 9i
However, that's not done because I need to combine the two delta loads.
Hence, I use the product/sum rule to obtain the combined delta:
((12+9i)(6+8j))/((12+9i)+(6+8j))
which obtained 4.1598 + 4.405j which is wrong

I also used https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/delta-and-star-transformation-ac-circuits.791979/ as guidance for this problem but can't quite point out where my mistake is.

Attachments

• yd69Ylv.png
    yd69Ylv.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 866
Physics news on Phys.org
The existing impedance of the delta portion is 6 - j8. You used 6 + j8.

Try that.

Likes Jinium
magoo said:
The existing impedance of the delta portion is 6 - j8. You used 6 + j8.

Try that.

Worked ! Guess I haven't studied enough. I should go read up on the positive and negative conventions of these circuits. I was not aware it could be a negative just from the diagram.

Thanks, magoo !

EDIT: Got it. It's negative on 8j because it's a capacitor. It would be positive if it were and inductor instead.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy

1. What is a Delta-Y connected load transformation?

A Delta-Y connected load transformation is a method used in electrical circuits to convert a three-phase delta configuration into a three-phase wye configuration. This transformation is also known as a delta-wye transformation or a delta-star transformation.

2. Why is a Delta-Y connected load transformation necessary?

A Delta-Y connected load transformation is necessary in situations where a three-phase wye configuration is needed, but only a three-phase delta configuration is available. This transformation allows for the use of wye-connected loads such as motors, generators, and transformers in a delta system.

3. How is a Delta-Y connected load transformation performed?

To perform a Delta-Y connected load transformation, the three-phase delta configuration is first disconnected from the power source. Then, the three delta connections are reconfigured into a wye connection by connecting one end of each phase to a common point or neutral wire. The other end of each phase is then connected to the power source.

4. What are the advantages of using a Delta-Y connected load transformation?

One advantage of using a Delta-Y connected load transformation is that it allows for the use of both delta and wye connected loads in the same circuit. This can be beneficial for balancing the load and reducing voltage drops. Additionally, the wye configuration provides a neutral point, which can be used for grounding and reducing harmonic distortions.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Delta-Y connected load transformation?

One limitation of using a Delta-Y connected load transformation is that it can only be used with three-phase systems. Additionally, the transformation process can cause an increase in line voltages, which may exceed the voltage rating of certain equipment. It is important to carefully consider the voltage ratings of all components before performing a Delta-Y connected load transformation.