Demonstrating Propagator is Virtual

In summary: This is what I get when I do the same calculation:In summary, the original problem asks for a calculation of the energy, mass, and momentum of an electron scattered by a photon. The equation for energy, mass, and momentum does not apply to the propagator, hence virtual.
maximus123
Hello,

I've been given a problem which is asking me to flesh out a calculation. The calculation is word for word like this;

consider, for example, an electron of total energy E, momentum p, and mass m being scattered as another electron absorbs the exchanged photon. The relativistic relation between E, p, and m is;

[itex]E^2-p^2=m^2[/itex]​

If the electron emits a photon of energy [itex]\Delta E[/itex] and momentum [itex]\Delta p[/itex] then

[itex]E \Delta E-p \Delta p=0[/itex]​

So that the mass of the exchanged photon is

[itex]\Delta m^2=\Delta E^2- \Delta p^2=-\frac{m^2 \Delta p^2}{E^2}<0[/itex]​

So I am being asked to work this out in detail, fill in all the steps. I thought that maybe I should try and show that the four momentum squared is not conserved at the vertex, i.e that the sum of the four momentum squared of the two electrons could not equal the four momentum squared of the photon and it was that violation that showed the particle was virtual;

[itex]q^2=(p_e + p_e)^2[/itex]

[itex]q^2=2p_e^2[/itex]​

Where [itex]q^2[/itex] is the four momentum squared of the photon (i.e the mass of the photon) and [itex]p_e^2[/itex] is the four momentum squared of the electron, hence on one side of the vertex there are two electrons and on the other side there is a photon. The four momentum for the electron is [itex](E, \textbf{p})[/itex] so;

[itex]q^2=2[E^2-(p_x^2+p_y^2+p_z^2)][/itex]

[itex]=2(E^2-|\textbf{p}|^2) [/itex]

[itex]q^2=2m^2[/itex]​

Clearly this is going nowhere near the result result in the problem. Am I on the right track? I know I have probably made a dozen mistakes here as I am new to these sort of calculations. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain how to achieve the result above.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, when I say

I thought that maybe I should try and show that the four momentum squared is not conserved at the vertex, i.e that the sum of the four momentum squared of the two electrons could not equal the four momentum squared of the photon and it was that violation that showed the particle was virtual

What I mean is use the fact that four momentum is conserved at the vertex to show that the equation for energy mass and momentum does not apply to the propagator, hence virtual.

Something seems strange to me in the original wording. I just did a quick calculation, and found that ##E\Delta E - p\Delta p = 0## only if ##\Delta E^2 - \Delta p^2 = 0##, i.e., if the photon is on-shell.

Are you sure you've got the original wording right, and complete?

1. What is a propagator in science?

A propagator is a mathematical concept commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a quantum state over time. It represents the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one position to another in a given time interval.

2. How is a propagator related to virtual particles?

In quantum field theory, a propagator can also represent the amplitude of a virtual particle to exist at a certain point in space and time. The propagator for a virtual particle is a complex function that takes into account the particle's mass, energy, and momentum.

3. Why is it important to demonstrate that the propagator is virtual?

Demonstrating that the propagator is virtual is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. It helps to explain how virtual particles contribute to the interactions between particles and how they influence the dynamics of a system.

4. How is the propagator for a virtual particle different from that of a real particle?

The propagator for a virtual particle has an imaginary component, while the propagator for a real particle is purely real. This is due to the fact that virtual particles do not have definite mass and energy, and their existence is constrained by the laws of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the propagator for a virtual particle be observed or measured?

No, the propagator for a virtual particle cannot be directly observed or measured. As its name suggests, virtual particles are not real particles and cannot be detected by traditional means. However, their effects can be observed through their influence on the behavior of real particles.